1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? ??? Nitrogen in Tires ???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by short shucker, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Jerry,

This was discussed at length here a couple of weeks ago. Just do a thread search and it all there.

ss

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I've been using a mixture of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% argon for 40 years. It's the same exact stuff they use in Indy car tires, Nascar tires and most NASA engineers use in their own personal car tires. I sell it cheap if anyone is interested.

-Gary

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Thats pretty good Gary. I wonder how you came up with that custom blend?

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The tire pressure does not drop as much (as air) with a drop in temperature.

The molecules are bigger (than air) so very small leaks are not a problem.

Tires Plus put it in free when I bought a new set of tires.

Jim Skeel

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Leo: I didn't invent it, I just sell it.

-Gary

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Nitrogen in tires is right up there with barrel porting on shotguns!

The advantages is so minute, that it is very hard to notice any difference.

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

But Jim, since air _is_ 78 percent nitrogen (as Gary hinted at above) how can the molecules be larger? Aren't 80% of the just the same?

Also, according to Charles' law, all gasses react to temperature changes the same.

Neil

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Come on, Neil -- can't you let me have a little fun?

-Gary

9. shelly

shelly TS Member

Since everybody knows that you get what you pay for, it stands to reason that expensive Nitrogen would be far better than plain old free air.

10. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

The new car dealers around here are putting it in all the new cars and charging crazy amounts of money for it.It's just another way to get more money from you.

Like i said before, don't waste your money porting your shotgun..or putting nitrogen in your tires...

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Here is an article from Popular Mechanics.

12. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Jerry- try helium

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Neil, you got me! I may be wrong on the reasoning but the results are the same!

From Popular Mechanics article: "First is that nitrogen is less likely to migrate through tire rubber than is oxygen, which means that your tire pressures will remain more stable over the long term." I do not have to add 6 psi to my tires each Winter. I suspect the dry nitrogen has something to do with this.

Jim Skeel

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

All I know is that my van has the Nitro tires and my wifes car has regular air. I checked both about 6 weeks ago and my van was only down 2 psi, while my wifes car was down about 8 per tire. On a added note my tires were installed first and had not been checked until that time. Yes, I added just regular air out of one of my compressors, but as they say my tire guage does not lie, but I would not pay extra for it!!! Break-em all. Jeff

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My dealer checks the pressure in my tires at every oil change and adds plain old compressed air....which I've been using in my car, truck, tractor, implement and combine tires for 45 years...and it works just fine...the nitrogen thing is a money grab pure and simple....

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>"Nitrogen repels moisture."</i>

Not true.

Nitrogen is a gas, like any other gas, and is the main constituent of air, as has been noted above.

However, the nitrogen they use to fill tires is comes from a compressed gas supplier, and is usually dried with a desiccant before it gets to the tire shop and into your tires. The compressed air that comes out of a shop compressor is generally moisture saturated.

You can run compressed air through a desiccant air dryer, and it'll remove most of the moisture, but your average tire shop or filling station doesn't have this kind of equipment.

Water vapor in your tires is generally undesirable, as stated in the Popular Mechanics article. But its not the end of the world.

If the shop does it right, they'll fill and purge each tire with dry nitrogen several times to remove as much water vapor as possible.

But if they charge extra to use nitrogen, don't waste your money.

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Al Gore recommends nitrogen.

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If Al Gore endorses it I am in

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Air from a compressor is a mixture of about 78% Nitrogen, 20% Oxygen and 2% other gases including water. On a day with high humidity, there will be more water and less Nitrogen/Oxygen in the air. As the gas expands going into your tires, some of the water will condense into the liquid form. As the tires get hot, some of the condensed water will return to a gas.

I applaud the people who came up and marketed the idea of using Nitrogen in tires. They demonstrated great ingenuity. It is not an easy job convincing people they need something that they really do not need.

shootlow- Nitrogen is not air with the water removed. Many telephone lines do have Nitrogen added under a little pressure. They monitor the pressure to detect leaks caused by a small break in the cable. If the pressure drops, something is wrong and can usually be fixed before the telephone service is disrupted.

Pat Ireland

20. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

The racing guys run a "dry" grade of nitrogen in the race car tires. Has nothing to do with cold or leaks, but with the complete lack of moisture it does not build excess pressure in the tire when running at very high speed for long periods of time. The racers take a dim view of a blowout at say 180 mph.

If the tire shop performs this for free, then terrific.

In everyday use, and the air compressor that fills your tires has reasonable moisture traps/filters, I doubt there is much benefit to running it in a street car. If your tire shop pulls the trigger on the filler and it shoots out a stream of water, well you need a new tire shop.