1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NITRO LOAD

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by COALTRAIN, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COALTRAIN

COALTRAIN TS Member

DOES ANY BODY KNOW WHAT POWDER REM USES IN ITS NITRO HANDICAP LOADS.

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I really like the new Nitro 27's. The packaging says that it uses ball powder and the TGT12S wad. The original Nitro 27's used the shorter Fig8 wad and a flake powder.

I am sure that other posters will provide more specifics. With the TGT12S wad, I would think that the new powder (Titegroup?) is more dense.

Anyway, I really like the new Nitro 27's.

Ed Ward

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have been led to believe it is a proprietary powder, with characteristics very, very similar to Hodgdon Titegroup.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Remington has used OEM powders similar to Titegroup and I believe is now using an OEM powder similar to Green Dot.

Powder production is tricky. You can put the same stuff in but the same stuff does not always come out. When a manufacturer makes a batch of powder that they hope will come out as Green Dot but it is not quite close enough to sell as Green Dot, they sell the powder to a shell manufacturer as an OEM powder.

The variable part of powder manufacturing is primarily due to the ground up trees that are used for cellulose. The trees, they are from Mississippi, are more consistent than cotton that was used many years age, but they still vary.

Pat Ireland

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Coal Train,

You can very closely match the performance of the Nitro 27 loads with Remington hulls, Remington primers, TGT-12 wads (or the Downrange RT-12 substitute), Hodgdon Titegroup, and good hard Remington magnum shot.

The Hodgdon website has this load listed (note, it lists the Figure-8 wad, but the TGT-12s can be subsitituted safely according to Hodgdon.)

No doubt, there is a Green Dot recipe that will do nearly the same, but I'm partial to Hodgdon products.

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Pat,

Green Dot? I'd like to see the recipe/data for a Nitro 27 handicap load that uses Green Dot and a TGT-12 wad and still crimp without opening up.

This might be possible in the Green hulled STS's that use the figure 8 wad.

ec90t

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

21 gr. Green dot, figure-8 wad, in a rem. hull will get ya about 1235 fps.

I don't know how the felt recoil is compared with tight group powder, as I have not tried it. I think the green dot is a little cheaper.

what ever you use, break them all, 'cause I'm depending on your scores for the spring league champs class!!

tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.