1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nitro 27/STS recipe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill60, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

i used to reload a lot when i first started shooting. but reloading got to expensive recently, so to my delight my dad said I didn't have to reload shells any more he would buy cheap ones. Well recently my grandparents said that they would go to the shot maker in Oregon(forget the name)when they traveled up there later this year. So now I have to go back to reloading. i have tried almost every thing that is out there over the last 6 months and i liked the Remington shells the best and i have about a thousand of the empty hulls and i am planning to get more.

SO heres my question does any body know what the recipe for the nitro27's are and for the light STS 8's or 9's. or where i can find out.

I would like to know the powder used and how much of it for both( i use a ponses warren loader and the wads used for both

Thanks,

Steven

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

All you have to do is a search on this site and you'll find all the info that you want. This topic has been covered several times.

ec90t

3. bigben

bigben Active Member

Steve, the original Nitro 27's had 21.5 grains of Hodgdon international Clays powder with Rem figure 8 wads and Rem primers, the later versions use 18.5 grains of Hodgdon Tightgroup powder and the green TGT-12[because of the densness of Tightgroup] along with Rem. primers, the light Rems are loaded with a commercial mix of Alliant powder that has a burn rate of a tweener between e3 and red dot with greenish-aqua flakes and fig 8 wads and Rem primers, in no way is the powder used in the light loads like green dot! a lot of today's powders will cover nicely the light 2 3/4 Rems. incinerate em!

4. C H S

C H S TS Member

I don't know about Nitro loads but the STS loads don't use off the shelf powder, they use a special powder Alliant makes for them. Here's a email from Alliant about it:

This is an email respponse from Alliant in regard to STS loads:

"My name is Paul Furrier and I am the Technical Manager at Alliant Powder in Radford, Virginia. I am also in charge of sales and marketing of our smokeless powders to the OEM ammunition manufacturers, so Remington is my account. I saw your post on TS.dom and thought I would send you a message, since I know exactly what Remington uses in their target loads. The powder Remington uses in their 12ga STS 1-1/8oz 2-3/4DE and 3DE loads is a proprietary powder we produce for them, and it contains green ID flakes. (In some lighting the flakes may look blue, but they are green). It is certainly not Green Dot(R). In terms of burn speed, the STS powder is virtually the same as Red Dot(R) and e3(R), but it is not either one. Energy wise, it is about halfway between the two, hence the charge weights slightly higher than e3, but lower than Red Dot.

You can duplicate the performance of the STS shells with handloads quite nicely with our American made powders e3 and Red Dot. For e3, 16.5gr makes the light load (2-3/4DE), and just shy of 17.5 duplicates the light handicap (3DE) beautifully. The Red Dot loads are: 18.0gr and 19.0gr for the 2-3/4DE and 3DE loads respectively. You can verify the load data I have shown in our interactive reloaders guide, at www.alliantpowder.com Good luck with your loads John. We would very much appreciate it if you use our powder. Please call us anytime at 800/276-9337 if you have any questions. All I ask is that you don't put my e-mail address on the web. Thanks."

Andy

5. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

light load 1oz #8 with claybuster wads CB1100-12 16.5 700x powder Win 209 1185 FPS

med load 1 1/8 #8 with claybuster wads CB1118-12 16.5 700x Win 209 1145 FPS

heavier load 1 1/8 #7 1/2 claybuster wads CB1118-12 17.5 700x Win 209 1185 FPS

Recipes above are 1st shot or both doubles, singles
    both shots doubles, singles, and up to 24 yards
    second shot doubles, and 24 yards and beyond.

Never have to readjust my reloader just change powder and shot bushings. They look like new factory shells. Love the way they preform.

Dale

6. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

Thanks everybody for all your help if any body has thing else to add it would be much appreciated

Thanx,

Steven

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

According to Hodgdon, they (Remington) no longer use Hodgdon TITEGROUP, but they apparently use a powder that is really, really similar to TITEGROUP.

You can reproduce the 1-1/8 ounce Nitro 27 handicap shell with the load formula bigben noted above:

- Remington STS, Nitro 27, or Gun Club hulls

- 18.5 grains of Hodgdon TITEGROUP powder

- Remington primer

- Remington TGT-12S wad (Claybuster has a clone of this wad now)

- 1-1/8 ounce of shot

I have used a similar combination for my handicap loads, substituting Winchester primers instead of the Remington primers, and using only 17 grains of TITEGROUP, and have had very good results.

Tim

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Steven...... I love shooting Nitro27's. They are my load of choice for long yardage handicap when I'm shooting "new". I came up with the following load that really comes as close to a Nitro27 as any I've tried. Remington Nitro hull, Fiocchi primer, 18.5gr. Promo powder, original Windjammer 11/8oz wad (must be the ORIGINAL Windjammer), and 492gr. magnum 71/2 shot. This load is very economical, by todays standards, and just crushes 27 yard targets as well as a factory Nitro does. Felt recoil is about the same, and the speed is right there with the factory Nitro's. For the light STS shells, I use the very same load except I back off the powder to 16.8gr. I use these in a STS hull and shoot them for singles and doubles. Again, they shoot just like the factory STS shells. The shotmaker in Oregon is Larry Stockman, who has Northwest Shot, in Phoenix, Oregon....Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Steven,

I would suggest the following load for you ballistic duplication of Rem Nitro 27 1 1/8 oz load. Rem 209P primer; Rem TGT12 wad; 18.0 gr Hodgdon TiteGroup powder. If you check the data shown on Hodgdon's website (link above), 18.5 grs is suppose to get you 1255 f/s. The new Nitro 27 is doing 1235 f/s. I hope you have a reloading scale. This load is right at the maximum pressure of 11,500 psi. You need to make sure that your machine does not drop over 18.5 grains.

For the Rem STS Light I would look at Hodgdon TiteWad powder and use the TGT12 wad instead of the Fig 8 listed for the 1 1/8 oz loads. Hodgdon does list a 1145 f/s 1 1/8 oz load with TiteGroup, but here too I would use the TGT12 wad.

If your getting back into reloading is dependent on your grandparents getting you shot with no transportation charges, make sure that they can purchase directly from the shot maker or get it at a good price from a retail outlet close to the shot maker.

Jason

10. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

thanks every body i will take all this into consideration and now i will have to go back to spending hours on end the few days before a weekend shoot to reload enough for the whole weekend. and Jason they are getting it from the maker

thanx again...

smoke em...

Steven

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
fig 8 wad formulas
nitro 27 handicap remington
remington nitro recipe
remington nitro target load clone
remington sts handicap recipe

remington sts reloading recipe