1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nitro 27 Sporting Clays Recipe?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by OregonDon, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

Does anyone have a recipe that duplicates the Nitro 27 Sporting Clays (1300 FPS)? Thanks in advance. Don

2. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Don, 25 grains of Hodgdon Universal, Spolar Gold 1 1/8 oz wad, STS or Nitro hull, Win 209 primer chronographs the same as Nitro Sporting Clays. One of my favorite loads. Bob

3. frank t

frank t TS Member

I think nitro 100 is too fast a powder for what u want. Universal clays, WSF, solo 1250 and unique are all better choices.

Frank T

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Titegroup.

HM

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Check out some of the recipes for hodgdon longshot powder....

6. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

2nd /3rd that look
    intoTitegroup powder and do a search here for "Nitro 27".THEE BEST load I've seen !

7. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Hodgdon reloading table has Titegroup maximum fps at about 1255 depending on components. Longshot is probably better for pot loads than sporting clays loads.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I only mention longshot for the # of recipes in the 1300fps range.

9. halfmile

Hodgdon just doesn't want to buy guns for dopes who reload with out a scale.

45 feet a second is not an unusual variation in chrony testing that I have done.

Shotshell reloading is way more sloppy than rifle, and 4-5 % over max listed loads is not uncommon in rifle loading. I have seen the same shotshell loads listed in different manuals with entirely different speed and pressure reported.

That said, I have not Chronyed any Titegroup loads, and i use 18.5 because it works just peachy keen for me.

Now I'm going to have to try 19 and check for pressure and look at patterns.

Sheesh.

HM

10. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

HM, I hope you are joking about using 19 gr of TiteGroup, because at 18.5 gr the pressure is 11,500 psi. This is the working maximum for 12 ga. You cannot carry over metallic cartridge reloading techniques of working up a load, over to shotgun shells. Metallic pressures are multiples of the maximum shotgun pressures.

Longshot velocities starts at 1420 f/s and goes to 1585 f/s.

Nitro 27 is the trap handicap load doing 1235 f/s.

Nitro Sporting Clays is the sporting clays load doing 1300 f/s.

Alliant has the following loads: Rem STS/Nitro hull, Rem 209P primer, Rem RXP12 wad, 1 1/8 oz of shot, 24.5 gr of Unique powder, 1310 f/s with 9700 psi or 27.5 gr of Herco, 1310 f/s with 8400 psi.

I have not have the opportunity to cut a Nitro SC apart, so I so not know what wad is being used in the factory shell. I would guess that it would be the Rem Fig 8. Hodgdon has Rem STS/Nitro hull, Win 209 primer, Rem Fig 8 wad, 1 1/8 oz shot, 25.0 gr Universal, 1310 f/s with 10,800 psi. I find it odd that Hodgdon does not have a load with the Rem 209P primer.

Given the above, you need a chronograph to work down to a load doing 1300 f/s.

Jason

11. halfmile

I know it's at the top edge, but half a grain in shotgun is pretty much inconsequential. And Loading manuals are somewhat conservative, in my opinion.

Chrony some 18.5 loads and see what the deviation is.

I have had as little as 15 and as much as 60 with my cheap little Chrony.

And this is with good hulls and careful loading, everything measured.

You do have to be careful with Titegroup, because of the very low density it is easy to overcharge.

A half grain more won't hurt a damn thing. But I don't advise it except under tightly controlled conditions.

And you are correct, there are other loads that do the job easier.

I would like to see independent test results from one of the concerns that does this.

(XR750's were never supposed to spin above 6800 RPM originally, either.)

HM

12. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

Thanks to all of you for your helpful information. Don

13. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Love those XR750's. Best thing the Motor Co. ever did!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1255 or 1300 fps on sporting clays

what powder in nitro 27 sporting clays