1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nitro 27 Reload

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Betterlatethannever, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Betterlatethannever

Betterlatethannever TS Member

Has anybody had any success with a reloading recipe that closely replicates a factory Remington Nitro 27 Shell? I like the factory loads but would like to reload my own version. Thanks and good shooting.

2. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

By chronograph this load is identical to factory Nitro 27s in my gun.

Nitro 27 Hull
    20.5 gs of Green dot
    Remington STS primer
    Winchester-Western wad (the orange ones, I forget the name)

And of course 11/8 ounces of West Coast magnum shot

Jerry

3. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have 2 that seem to be the same. 2 3/4 dram, 18 of Red Dot. 3 dram, 19 of Red Dot. Rem. primer and Rem. wad and good hard shot. Glenn

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

BLTN -

If you don't want to be an ammo test pilot, you should stick to recipes in the book. Hodgdon publishes a duplication recipe, but their duplication is based only on velocity/pressure and does not duplicate the actual internal components.

You can duplicate the factory load, but it will require ballistic testing since I haven't seen a published recipe that calls for the same wad and powder that they use in the factory loads. I know someone that has paid to have this testing done and is able to duplicate the factory load.

Scott

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

The load that Hodgdon lists as the factory duplication load uses Remington primers, Remington Figure 8 wads, and 18.5 grains of Titegroup. The factory shell uses the TGT-12 wad instead of the Figure 8. In my experience, the Figure 8 gives dished crimps with the shot leaking out (Titegroup is VERY dense, and 18.5 grains takes up little room in the shell), where the TGT-12 gives good crimps. I have not chronographed the loads, but the recoil feels to me to be identical to Nitro-27 factory loads.

6. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I believe Pocatello has it right.....all my 25 straights were with that load !

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I know several folks who use the exact load Pocatello has listed, and it is a good one.

Remington used to use TITEGROUP from Hodgdon in their Nitro 27 shells. The powder they use now is from the same factory, and is virtually the same formula, or so I am told.

I use almost the same load for handicaps, only with Win209 primers, and 18 grains of TITEGROUP and it works well for me.

8. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Tim,

You shoot well enough with the factory loads.....just dig deep in your pockets and spent the 65 a flat. How else you gonna win back to back Handicap State Champs?

Rickyd

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Rickyd,

I think you have me confused with someone who is a GOOD shot.

I'd have to actually win a State Handicap first to win back-to-back!

Tim

10. ric3677

Tim----Better Late Than Never...Tim

I know for a fact, you have already won two....I guess Billings is just a fading memory?

You did much better in the shootoff than I did. Altho I doubt you had to wait as long as I did.

Rickyd

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Rickyd,

Honstly, I'm not who you think I am. Wish I shot that well though!

I'm Tim Bruggeman from Shawnee, KS. Never been to Billings.

I did win a belt buckle for my yardage class in the HOF Handicap at the Kansas State Shoot last year, but it wasn't the State Championship handicap.

Tim

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The load that Pocatello mentioned is spot on except for the amount of powder. 18.5 grains of Titegroup will get you close to being an illegal shell. I chrono'ed a few and they were averaging 1275fps out of a INV+ 34" barrel.The recipe in the book calls it 1255fps. I droped the load to 18.0 grains and the average was 1235fps. The load may perform differently in your gun.

ec90t

13. dunerboy

dunerboy TS Member

the published velocities are from a 30 inch barrel, so you could be close to 1300 fps and still be legal. cw

14. ric3677

Timb,

The person that started this thread is a Tim also....sorry, I should have looked a bit closer before I threw in his first name. My apologies.

Rickyd

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Rickyd,

No apology necessary.

Break them all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
gun powder used in remington 27 nitro
powder used in remington nitro 27 loads
recipe for nitro 26