1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nitro 27 reload...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooter R, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I can't seem to find any data for use with the TGT12S wad, which is what Remington uses in the Nitro 27 1 1/8 Hcp load. Hodgdon lists data with the figure 8 wad only. They have a max load of 18.5 grs. of TightGroup, (which is what I believe to be the consumer available substitute for the factory powder). I loaded up a few rounds in some Nitro 27 hulls, with a Rem 209P, the TGT12S wad and 18.3 grs. of TightGroup and they crimp just fine. I supose I could use the Figure 8, but the original uses the TGT12S. I noticed the Factory shells do compress the wad a bit and so do mine. Any thoughts? TIA

2. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Substitute the TGT-12 wad with the other components as listed. With those components and the listed Fig 8 wad, the Titegroup is so dense that the crimp is severely dished, enough to leak shot, at least on my press. With the TGT-12 wad I get a perfect shell.

3. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Hi Bill, your data is right on, but it's for the 1 oz. loads. I was looking for 1 1/8 oz. loads. Thanks anyways, (and as everyone knows), it pays to double check.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I am making the perfect (as far as I can tell) Nitro clone. Man, it works great. My buddy just started using it and he is amazed.

I use the Gold Nitro hull so I can tell what it is (got too many kinds) and the Green STS will work too. I use a claybuster Figure 8 clone and Remington primers. The dose is 18.5 grains, we tried 19 but the patterns weren't as good.

This is the best I have had since we couldn't get 12C1 Federal wads any more.

I don't seem to have a crimp problem, but then I might just have the right settings by some freak accident.

I would use a regular F 8 too if I needed to. I think the concavity on a AA wad bottom would increaase the pressure again, and I don't want that.

Try it and report back. There will be a quiz after class.

HM

5. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Shoote R, I have been using 18 grains of Titegroup in a Remington gold hull,TGT12 wad, and a Winchester primer. I have found it is less recoil and seems to do the job. I have been thinking about using the same componets,but 18 or 19 grains and 1 oz of 8's, for leauge and see if the scores stay the same. John

6. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I just got back from the club, where I bought a bag of TGT-12 wads along with some other components. I happened to notice for the first time printed on the bag the statement "For Nitro-27 1 1/8 and 1 ounce loads and STS 1 ounce loads". As far as all the loading data I have seen shows, the Nitro-27 and STS hulls are interchangeable. I take this printed statement to be confirmation that it is OK to use the TGT-12 wads with 1 1/8 ounce loads in the Nitro-27 factory equivalent reload. As I mentioned above, Titegroup is so dense that I cannot get a good crimp with the Fig 8 wad.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

According to Hodgdon, you can recreate the Nitro 27 Trap load as follows:

STS, Gun Club, or Nitro hull

Remington TGT-12S wad (I like the Downrange substitute)

1 1/8 oz. Magnum shot

18.2 grains of Hodgdon Titegroup

Remington 209P Primer

I don't load it quite that hot, and I also use Winchester primers. I use 17.9 grains of Titegroup, and with Winchester primers and Downrange wads, that works out to 1200 fps at 10,000 psi.

Its a great handicap load.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This was gone over last year, but for those who cut class, Here it is:

There is no ballistic difference between the Figure 8 and TGT pattern wads.

This goes for the clones also.

The only difference is the column height. Use the one that works with your loader settings instead of driving yourself nuts.

HM

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Do not attempt to use the TGT12 wad with 1 1/8 oz shot and a bulky powder like Green Dot because there isn't enough room in that wad.

10. buddy123

buddy123 Guest

Halfmile & Miketmx,
    Which of these two wads would appear to leave more capacity in STS hulls ?

Some of my STS / Green dot/ 1 1/8 oz loads seem to be buckling due to inadequate capacity I am guessing.
    Thanks,
    Pete Giddings- Canada

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Pete, you can use a Figure 8 or RXP or a clone. The TGT12 and TGT12S are really 1 oz wads that only work with 1 1/8 oz shot with a very dense low volume powder not Green Dot.

12. buddy123

buddy123 Guest

miketmx,
    Thank you for that information.
    Pete

13. shotslinger

shotslinger Member

Does anyone know what the duplication load for the Remington STS Light Target load is?? I'm looking for a good 16 yard load which I can use for practice.
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can you use same reloading data foraa hulls and nitro 27
nitro 27 patterns

nitro 27 reloading data

remington nitro 27 reloading data
remington nitro target load clone

titegroup nitro 27

titegroup nitro27 load
winchester aa powder and nitro 27 reloading