1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nitro 27 recipe

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by OregonDon, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

Does anyone have the recipe for duplicating the Rem Premier Nitro Sporting Clays? TIA

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You can get close by looking at Hodgdon's tables for Titegroup.

Not sure what muzzle velocity the Sporting Clays loads are, but the Hodgdon tables show 1255 ft/sec with 18.5 grains of Titegroup, Remington Hull, Remington 209P primer, Figure 8 (or TGT-12) wad, and 1-1/8 ounces of shot.

3. gslam

gslam TS Member

23 to 23.5 grains of Green Dot, Fioochi primer, any tapered hull, fig 8 wad. that'll get you at 1300fps with a 1 1/8oz. load which is a carbon copy of the sporting clay Nitro 27. Makes the worlds best 27yrd handicap load.

4. pilotdan

pilotdan Member

Don- Do you have a Bill Cole single w/ a Maple stock?

5. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Gslam, also an illegal load for ATA competition. If it's 1300 fps with 1-1/8oz. Strictly Sporting Clays load. J.Woolsey

6. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

I use 19.5 American Select with Win 209 primer and a fig 8 wad. Comes pretty close.

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

There is a recipe in the Hodgdon book that uses Universal Clays that will push an 1 1/8 oz load 1310FPS. That should get you there.

ec90t

8. gslam

gslam TS Member

A legal load in my regs. reads 1290 + or - 3% or 1328.7fps

9. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

gslam,

You referring to ATA rules?

ATA rules state maximum velocity with 1 1/8 oz of shot is 1290 f/s. The 3% refers to the maximum shot charge. It is a little confusing and/or conflicting because it states: "Shot charges are maximum and no charge may exceed the charge amount by more than 3%." If shot charges are maximum, how can you allow 3% more.

What is the pressure of the 23.5 grain Green Dot load?

Your Green Dot load cannot be a carbon copy of the Nitro Sporting Clays load, the real deal uses a Rem 209P primer not a Fiocchi primer.

Jason

10. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

The maximum load speed is 1290 fps - period. It was once stated as 1200 (3 dram) +/- 90 as this was a SAMMI allowed difference. Manuf played in the gray area with the handicap loads running 1235 or 1250.

I think the 3% shot load is to save the reloaders. Shot charges are measured by volume, not weight on a reloader. Do you really want to make it viable in the rules that you can disqualify somebody who dropped 4 or 5 extra BB's?

11. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I copied this off the net some time ago. It's credited coming from the Technical Manager at Alliant Powder in Radford VI. He also gave his name and phone no. but I left it off cause I can't say for sure how old this post was.
    My name is XX and I am the Technical Manager at Alliant Powder in Radford Virginia. I am also in charge of sales and marketing of our smokeless powders to the OEM ammunitions manufacturers, so Remington is my account. I saw your post on TS.com and though I would send you a message, since I know exactly what Remington uses in their STS 1-1/8oz 2-3/4DE and 3DE loads is proprietary powder we produce for them, and it contains green id flakes. In some lighting the flakes may look blue, but they are green. It is certainly not Green Dot. In terms of burn speed, the STS powder is virtually the same as Red Dot and e3, but it is neither one. Energy wise, it is about halfway between the two, hence the change weights are higher with e3 and lower than Red Dot. You can duplicate the performance of the STS shells with hand loads quite nicely with our American made powders e3 and Red Dot. For e3 16.5gr. will make the 2-3/4DE and just shy of 17.5 duplicates the 3DE. Red Dot is 18.0gr. for the 2-3/4DE and 19.0 for the 3DE. Good luck with your loads and call us anytime at 1-800-276-9337
    He sort of contradicts himself at the end about load weights but I copied this just as it came. FWIW.

12. jrdlanes

jrdlanes Member

pilotdan - check your Private Messages. Make appropriate changes to the email address I provided. John in Iowa

13. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

Thanks to all who were generous enough to share a recipe. Don

14. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Don, this will duplicate the Nitro Sporting Clays load: 25 gr. Hodgdon Universal, Rem Figure 8 wad, STS or Nitro hull = 1310fps. One of my favorite loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1290 1 oz recipe nitro 27

1oz 1290 recipe

clays 1290 1 oz

nitro 27 209p 800x

sporting clay recipes