1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nitro 27 loads for handicap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JimmyP, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

I recently made the 27 yard line and have been shooting Nitro 27's. I would really like to duplicate this load but have a few questions. What do they chrono in your gun? What kind of pressure do they have? Does anyone have an idea what they are loaded with? I know the wad is a TGT and have heard that the powder started out with Titegroup but went to a proprietary blend. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Jimmy

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Nitro 27 powder was originally a non-cannistered version of International Clays. I understand Remington went to Titegroup years later. I could duplicate the early load with Nitro Hulls, Remington Figure 8 wads, 1 1/8 shot, Remington 209s and the #34 MEC bushing of Int Clays in my 9000H.

I never shoot 1 1/8 loads anymore but that was a good one!

3. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

This has been covered a few times before...so a SEARCH would probably get the answers You need. I'm in the same boat You are....LOVE the Nitro loads but would like to LOAD them myself.

I use once fired STS/Nitro hulls, 21.0 gr of GREEN DOT, WW209 primer, 1 1/8 oz of Magnum 7.5 shot, but instead of the RP wad> the BLUE DUSTER from DownRange.

From 25 yds they break tgts the same as the factory loads. I can't tell any difference.

Disclaimer: I'm not an All American, YMMV, NO warranty expressed or implied, contact my Attorney with any correspondence.

FN

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I would contact Hogdon powder Co. for advice on the duplicate load since they provide the powder. According to them as of 2005, they used "TiteGroup". The wad appears to be a standard Remington Taget wad, but I am assuming a clone brand would fill the bill also.

5. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

FN, I did do a search and could not find any data for a Nitro 27 load. A lot of other info but no speed or pressure. I have had my neck broke so recoil is an important issue with me. I will still shoot new in competetion but would like to get close for practice. If I can find out what is close as far as powder then I can pretty much come close. I guess I need to buy my own Chrono. LOL Thanks everyone.

Jimmy

6. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/threads.cfm

How about the above link??

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The factory load is a very dense fine grain powder and that is why they can use the TGT12 wad which is actually a 1 oz wad. I use Green Dot powder which is bulky and I have to use a 1 1/8 oz wad like Figure 8.

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

To duplicate the Nitro 27 shell use the following recipe:

Remington hull

18.0 grains of Hodgdon's TiteGroup powder

Remington TGT-12 wad

1 1/8 oz of shot

Remington 209 primer.

I believe the pressure is 10,200psi and measured 1235 FPS through a Ohler chono out of a 30" barrel with an IM choke. My deviation was 10fps out of 10 shells. This same shell chono's the same out of a 34" barrel.

ec90t

9. nords

nords Member

I know this has been discussed before but I'll ask again.
    Fed Gold Medal; primers Fed 209 & wads 12S3 but what kind of powder
    do they use or what makes the best load for 1145 & 1200 1 1/8

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I use 18.5 and 20 grains of Red Dot to go along with that combination and speeds.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There have been several to many postings on this subject and it seems there is no way for anyone to be conclusive and come up with the absolute clone for the Nitro 27's ... I have been told the powder is blended so to try and reproduce that would be vertually impossible for the average reloader ... The Nitro 27's are an advantage when shooting handicap yardage and there is only one way to get the real thing and thats to buy it ready made ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Here is what Remington says!!!

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

try the above...

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Guys,

In my discussions with Chris Hodgdon, indeed Remington did at one time buy Hodgdon TITEGROUP for their Nitro 27 1-1/8 ounce loads.

They no longer buy TITEGROUP from Hodgdon, but Chris believes the powder they currently use is virtually the same as or very similar to TITEGROUP. The powder Remington now uses is made in the same factory that makes TITEGROUP.

Draw your own conclusions.

According to Chris, the load noted above by ec90t is an exact match for what Remington was using in their Nitro 27 1-1/8 ounce loads when they were buying powder from Hodgdon.

Use this information at your own disscretion. Its worth every bit you paid for it...

Tim

15. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Titegroup was originally developed as a pistol powder so it is not very bulky. 18.0 grains in your powder pan looks like about the quantity of a cigarette ash. Take care when reloading Titegroup as a double charge could easily go unnoticed, unlike a bulky powder such as Green dot which a double would make a mess you would see for sure.

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

RLC,

Good advice, and accurate.

Which is why you use a 1-ounce wad for an 1-1/8 ounce load with this powder.

Tim

17. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

I guess I didn't make myself very clear. Sorry about that. I was wanting to know what a factory Nitro 27 will chrono at, and at what kind of pressure if anyone knows. I will look at the different data manuals to find me a load close to that. I really like them but don't want to spend the money on new for practice if I can come up with a load that is close. Again, I am sorry for not making myself more clear. Thanks

Jimmy

18. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jimmy, assuming you want to use a chronograph to help produce reloads that replicate the Nitro 27 shells, I'll suggest this. Take your chrono out and run some factory Nitro 27s through it with maybe two or three 10 shot strings. Do this with your gun, your barrel, your preferred choke, and always at the same distance from the first or start screen. Then begin making shells that you think are close to matching the factory loads and test them in a similar manner. Need more velocity? Up the powder, within printed recipes of course. Need a little less velocity, reduce the powder and run more tests till you finally find what you're looking for. Whatever the reading on the factory shells can simply be matched without knowing the results from a professional pressure/velocity testing device.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

19. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

You guys do know that it doesn't really matter, don't you? I mean there are a 100s of guys shooting great scores with all types of loads and factory shells from cheapos to STS.

Hint: Shoot where the target is going.

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

ec90T has the recipe. I used to use International to make Nitro's but the Titegroup is better, just be careful re the double charge.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
good load for titegroup nitro shell
nitro 27 handicap remington
nitro handicap sts12nh8
nitro handjcap loads

remington handicap 27s

remington nitro 27 handicap

remington nitro 27 reloading data
what kind of powder use in remington 27 nitro