1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nitro 27 and constriction of pattern

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by doubles100, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doubles100

doubles100 TS Member

I am new to the 22 yard line. I shoot light full and full from the 16. Going to try Nitro 27s from the 22. Will I need open up the choke?

2. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Doubles 100 Can I ask a question why do you need to use all that heavy load from any where? You don't need to beat you're self up like that just to shoot a orange target the bigger the better theory is not better. Go to the supply place and take a few minutes pick up 4 or a case of top gun or STS remington LITE 8's for 16 yd and Lite STS 7.5 shot for you're 22 yd line and Take a few rounds to get you're timing and just break the target and most of all save you're shoulder and the pounding of you're body from the pain when you're shooting.

I thought for years that BIGGER was BETTER and learned that it is not even at my league shoots and annie oakley and buddy shoots I use STS LITE 7.5 and I have used 1oz 7.5 shot 1290 fps HC loads for annies and the guys I shoot with can not believe it. Now lt Full is fine what my personnel deal is I practice with my .030 lt full and shoot the scores with my .025 imp MOD but thats me . Hope I shed some help on the subject. Pat.k.

3. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

If you shoot those nitro's from there very long you will be back on the 20 yard line in no time,I believe there are few shooters who can tolerate that kind of recoil without developing a flinch or a bad habit and most of those are on the 27 yard line and need that kind of load to be competetive from there.I shoot from 24 yds and still use a 1 oz.load.Jerry

4. brewmaster

brewmaster Member

In almost all respects, lighter is better. Get a calculator and do the math on how long in terms of time that the slower (lighter) load actually takes to get to the point of impact. Use 32 yards for 16 yard targets and 45 yards for 27 yard targets, or any yardage in between. It is hard to do the math when you figure the effect of gravity on shot speed and target speed. Just use constant velocity and the point will be burned into your mind. There are no 90 degree targets in trap, but the answers that you come up with will be relative to crossing targets. Doing the math using 1145 fps and 1200 fps, you will find that the 16 yard target will move about 3 inches futher before that 1145 fps load gets there and the 27 yard target will move a little over 5 inches before that load catches it. IMHO, no one can point a shotgun with that much percision. Like the previous posters stated, why beat yourself to death.

5. shrek

shrek Active Member

I have to agree with the rest that the nitro 27's are nasty shells to shoot.

I tried them a few times and don't shoot them anymore.

i don't miss the recoil one bit.

6. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I use Nitro 27's from the 25 in my 90-T and find the recoil quite manageable. In my Mod 12, now that's another thing.

7. porky

porky TS Member

Doubles 100

You shouldn't change your chokes. Shooting the shell at 22 yd is a bit over the top, but it is your choice. Many people shoot them from there. As Frank Little put it,the more you open your choke the more confused you can become about exactly where you are hitting your birds. Besides that the consistancy of the shell in regards to the speed will help you in your endeavor to reach the 27 yd line.

Good luck.

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Nitro 27's were designed as in their name, for the 27 or long yardage.

Shooting these at 20 is crazy. Just shoot a normal load, not an extra lite, but a normal load... and if you feel up to it, try a 3 dram, but, honestly, that's even over-kill.

And, as mentioned above, there's no need to change chokes at the 20... unless you are a VERY SLOW shooter... slow to pull the trigger.

IMHO.

Whiz White

9. motowheelguy

motowheelguy TS Member

Way to much shell for the 22yd line(unless you like the kick of a mule). Light 7.5 load will break'em all day. I have good luck with Fed paper Extra Lite 7.5 from the 27.

Aaron Holguin

10. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dan Bonillas used to write an article for Shotgun Sports a few years back and one of his articles dealt with when to change shells as you moved back in yardage at handicap. He recommended going to a 3 dram and 7.5 shot shell once you reach the 25 yard line. I know there are many schools of thought here but Dan has shot long enough and with enough success that I'd be hard pressed to disagree. My 10.9 pound Kolar digests the Nitro 27 and Winchester Super Caps without so much as a bump. Good gun fit on heavy shells is a must.

My preference 16 yd targets= 1 oz #8 load

1st shot of doubles= 1 oz #8 load

2nd shot of doubles= 1 1/8 oz #7.5

Handicap @ 27= Nitro 27 #7.5

All good.

Dave

11. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

What is the matter with you guys??? I use them from 16 to the 26 and love them.

Doubles... You give them a try and shoot either of your chokes. You keep your head on the stock and look hard at the target and they will break. You honestly just need to forget you aren't on the 16 and "see" the bird. If you do that you won't be on the 22 for long....

LWL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.