1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

???Nitro 100 ????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goosedowner, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

Anyone using the new Nitro 100 powder?
    How does it compare to the older version?
    I've never used Nitro but after checking out some loading data the pressure numbers look very good for this powder. I have to put a components order in soon so now would be the time for me to buy some if I'm going to.

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Been using Nitro for several years. Started with the old now with the new. I load 7/8 oz. and 1 oz with this powder. The 7/8 oz in my 11-87 ha virtually no recoil, so little in fact that once when I put a 3Dr. 1 1/8 oz load in, I thought I put a magnum in. That was how spoiled by the low recoil I have become. The other interesting thing is that my average actually went up when I went to the light loads. Why? maybe lower recoil, maybe pore practice (lower reloaded ammo costs) mat only in my head but the results on paper showed a small but noticeable uptick. The birds break just fine when I do my job job, the 7/8 oz 8 1/2 break the bird with no problem. Note that I am a somewhat quick shooter so if you take a bit more time, you may want to try 8s or even 71/2 but that is your thing to check.

One feeling that I do have about them keeping the same name for what are two different powders, based on charge weights, pressures and velocities, is that the "New" Nitro 100 should have been sold with a different name to make a positive differentiation between the old and the "New". Be sure to check you load data to insure you are using loading data created for the NEW powder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.