1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nitro 100 Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bob Caryl, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Caryl

Bob Caryl Member

Just got an 8 Lb. jug of this powder and was wondering what some of you think of it that have used it. I have never used it before. There is not much reloading info out there for it. Do any of you have a favorite receipe for it that you would care to share. Thanks.
    Bob

2. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

STS hull 16.5 grns. TGT12 wad and 1oz. 1230fps and no recoil. I have been loading Nitro for 20+ years and love it for 1 oz. loads but when loading up for 1 1/8 a little to much recoil.

3. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I just started loading N 100, and so far I like it.
    For 16yd. I used 17.5 grs. in a W.W. old style hull,Cheddite primer, wt12 wad, 1 1/8 oz. of 8.5 mag. shot.It's a little bumpy but it sure smokes targets,( 24 thou. choke )
    I haven't cronoed it yet, but I'm sure it's around 1235 or so.

4. FLIP

FLIP Member

16.2 tgt wad sts hull fio primer 1oz #8 16yard and doubles.sweet shell

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I use 15,2 Gr. Nitro 100 for a 7/8 Oz. 8s or 8.5s when I can find them, load in a STS/Gun Club hull with a Win 209 primer and a Claybuster 4100-12 wad. Velocity is about 1170 FPS. Low recoil, economical and it destroys targets (if I put the shot in the right place :) Just yesterday, when I ran a fifty straight in our League shoot, with this load, the scorer even commented about how hard the targets were being hit.

Only problem is that I have to manually open the Rem 1100 since the load is so light the action may or may open by itself. In a break-open action this is a non-issue.

6. Two Dogs

The load i mentioned above is not in any book, it's just something i tried. I like a fast load for 16's, but maybe I'll back it down just a little.

7. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Two dogs, YOU ARE A DUMBASS.

According to Accurate's current data:

AA hull
    Rem/Win/Cheddite 209
    1 1/8 oz shot
    WT12
    15.8 grains of Nitro

suppsed to give 1150 fps, at 11,580 psi. Already 80 psi OVER the max average pressure for a 2 3/4" 12 gauge.

The load you're using Two Dogs is without a doubt well over pressure. You are a danger to yourself and everyone else on the line with you. Hell, as far as I'm concerned, anyone loading 1 1/8 oz loads with Nitro is a danger to those around them. The powder is too fast for that heavy of a shot charge. Looking at Accurate's data, with Winchester hulls there are seven published over pressure 1 1/8 oz loads with Nitro 100, and two with Remington hulls that are right at max pressure.

~Michael

8. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

Two Dogs, Jerry and Michael are correct. It isn't advisable to "just try something". If you want to blow yourself up make sure you're out in the woods by yourself, not standing next to a fellow shooter.

Check out the link above to Accurate's on-line loading data, and reduce the powder charge to a level that doesn't exceed published data.

BTW, do you shoot a K80, we may have found the problem!

9. Two Dogs

Jerry....I will be at the MT. state shoot for a couple of days, and then a couple of days at the MN. state shoot.This load at 17 grs. is far lighter than any factory handicap shell I've ever shot.

10. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Two dogs, how heavy or light this load may be has NOTHING to do with the pressures being developed in the chamber.

If you're trying to some how defend your load, you're an absolute fool, and lack even the most basic understanding of the fire you're playing with. Get a reloading manual, and read it several times.

~Michael

11. wopahoe

wopahoe Member

I used 16 grs. for sgls.[1150 fps] and 16 1/2 grs. for hdcp.[1225 fps] on a crony cronograph. This was with aa cases and win. primers and claybusters aa wads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1oz nitro 100
aa nitro 100 reviews
info about nitro 100 shotgun powder
info nitro 100 powder
nitro 100 and cb1118-12 loading data
nitro 100 powder

reviwes of nitro 100 shotgun powder