1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nitro-100 or Titewad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Could those reloading with either/both of these powders give they're opinion on them? How dirty might they be? Results with certain wads etc. Thanks, Jim

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I haven't used tons of either, but have used them from time to time. Both powders are ok for lighter loads and I do not consider them for loads with 1 1/8 oz, unless they are super light. Cost wise, they are both reasonable. I had a few issues with Titewad in colder weather, but it was probably the load and not the powder. It was a light load using a "bargain" primer and cheap wads in worn hulls. I would probably lean towards the N100 if I were to buy either, but it's a hard choice. Price and availability might make that decision for me.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've never loaded Nitro-100, but I have and still load Titewad. I use it for 7/8 oz and 1 oz loads only. There are much better powders out there for 1 1/8 oz loads.

I've never experienced any cold weather problems with Titewad like some have stated. I generally load mine in the 9,000-10,000 PSI range and Winchester 209's.

I have a pound of Promo that was given to me to try out. So far I'm impressed with what I'm seeing. It's a little dirty compared to Titewad(extremely clean), but nothing to make an issue out of.

ss

4. bigmike

bigmike TS Member

I have used nito-100 with blue duster and claybuster wads at 1145 fps 1-1/8 oz. powder is pretty clean .the only thing with claybuster wad it leaves plastic build-up in chokes blue duster doesnt.Not a problem though if you clean guns regularly. shoot well,bigmike

5. FLIP

FLIP Member

i have loaded tons of nitro, 16.gr 1 oz tgt sts hull fio primer good load.use it for singles first shot doubles.
    . powder OK for light 1 1/8 loads 16 gr 1145fps

6. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I've been loading Titewad for a couple of years, esp. since Clays has become scarce and/or too expensive. It's a fine powder that tends to work it's way out of the charge bar, but it's good for 7/8 and 1 ounce loads which is what I use it for. It's not as clean as Clays but it isn't bad either. I would say that I've had bloopers when the weather turned cold (20s & 30s) while using low-speed loads. I bumped up the charge weight and the problem went away.

This fall I've experienced a lot of bloopers with my loads, even faster loads, using Titewad, but I think it's a wad seating problem combined with the fine grain of the powder and not the powder itself because when I switch to different hulls and wads the problem goes away. This all ocurred about the time I received a new case of 5000 Claybuster 12SO replacement wads for my Federal Gold Medal hulls... this weekend I'm going to test whether some of the old batch of wads work OK. The powder worked just fine before that and works very well in a AA wad with 7/8 oz WAA12L wad.

Jennifer

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i'm good wiht Titewad. Loaded about 6 thou with STS and fig 8s and one ounce and ounce and a 16th. Thru a PW. No issues. Clean. Pressures did not equate into recoil. Quiet too. Winter good. Summer good.

8. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Nitro100 is my powder of choice over ANYTHING else out there, except for 1 1/8oz loads which I no longer use very much. 15.9gr under CB4100 7/8oz, or 16.5 under WJII 1oz in A-A hulls do it for me. DownRange XXL (Pink) and TGT-12 wads also work very well. Would not (have not) use TiteWad even if given to me. I gave away the last jug that was given to me!

AndyH ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

light loads with nitro 100

titewad vs nitro100