1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nitro 100 - Czech Republic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by been there, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. been there

been there TS Member

I was recently given 8 pounds of Nitro 100 powder. It is marked: "Product of the Czech Republic". For years I have been using Clays powder for my 1oz. trap loads and I am very happy with it, but it seems a shame not to use the Nitro 100. So I decided that I wouldn't mess with my 1oz. load, and that I would try to come up with a 7/8oz. load using the Nitro 100. I have been searching various sites and two things kind of leap out at me: First, is the Czech thing problematic? I have seen references to "old and new" formula and it has me a little confused. I don't see how something can be radically changed and still go by the same name. Second, I have always used AA hulls, and have a pretty good inventory of them. What little data I have found for 7/8oz. loads using the Nitro powder all seem to be for Remington hulls. So my question is: Does anyone have a good starting point for 7/8oz. trap loads using Nitro 100 powder and AA hulls? I appreciate any and all input. Thanks. Frank

2. legman

legman Member

Accurate arms will be happy to send or email you data for the Czech Nitro 100. I have used both for 7/8oz. in winchester hulls and am pleased with the results. Kenny Bruggeman

3. FLIP

FLIP Member

i have been using 16.2gr TGT wad fio primer in both AA & STS for my 1oz works great ,, sorry i dont shoot 7/8oz

4. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

I have loaded 100's of #'s of Nitro 100. Everytime I contact Accurate Arms I get a different story on how much to use. I loaded 16.5 /TGT12wad/Rem 209 for years and when the new formulae came out they said no difference load the same. What happened was the same bushing dropped heavy so I had to go down to get the same grns. and fps.

5. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Any idea why the new formula is marked "not for handgun loads"?

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Probably because it is an extremely fast burning powder.

7. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Commercial reloaders say they love it

Their burn rate chart shows it equal to N310 which is also a pistol powder

It could be the granulation wont meter well in small charges?

regards

8. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

My GUESS about "Not for Handguns" is that it could pressure spike a lot quicker with a deeper seated bullet. In some case like the .40 S&W, deep seating a bullet over a charge of Nitro 100 in the small internal volume case has the potential to make dangerous pressures even if the grain weight of the charge would be at the high end of normal pressures with a normal seating depth.

There was an article published a few years back which tested seating depths in .40 S&W and it found the seating depth was quite critical and some pressures went over SAMMI limits simply because of seating depth. Nitro 100 has the potential to do the same.

And yes, I do use Nitro 100 in my 7/8 Oz. 12 Ga. loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting czechoslovakia