1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nitrigon filled tires

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Texas Yankee, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

A friend of ours has a new Cadilac and on the window it has a sticker that says this car rides on Nitrigon filled tires. My questions are what is the advantage and where is she going to get the nitrogon to fill her tires in the middle of nowhere Texas.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Dealers and dealerships are playing to the folks who follow car racing; racers use nitrogen in their tires to reduce the pressure buildup caused by heat. Nitrogen is an inert gas that hold no moisture. The gullible figure if it's good enough for racers, it's better than good enough for them.

MK

3. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

You'll get 78% nitrogen from any air compressor. The reason is obvious.

As I understand it, all nitrogen is a good idea for airplane landing gear tires and race cars because of pressure extremes and fire hazard. For normal everyday autos, it's a rip-off.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Nitrogen is a very good fertilizer for growing peas. HMB

5. skeezix

skeezix Member

What I've read about ntrogen is that it is a dry gas. Supposedly the dry environment helps prevent corrosion and rot inside the tire. I think some of the tire pressure sensing systems require or recommend nitrogen - because they need the dry environment.

John

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

They figure if you're dumb enough to buy a Government Motors vehicle, and an overpriced Cadillac at that, you're probably also dumb enough to pay for nitrogen in your tires.

-Gary

7. shelly

shelly TS Member

They put nitrogen in the tires because they can charge a lot for it and nobody will pay for plain, mostly nitrogen air. There is no limit to the gullibility of people in the land of the free and the home of the brave.

8. skeezix

skeezix Member

I don't think nitrogen is 'dry' because it's nitrogen per se. It's dry because the process of separating nitrogen from atmospheric air also removes all the moisture content (i.e. humidity). Even with a desiccant in your compressed air lines, you are going to have moisture in compressed air. From what I've been told, a bit of moisture in your tires can ruin your tire pressure sensors. I wouldn't think nitrogen would do a thing for you if you aren't running a TPS system.

john

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The average person does not need more than 78% nitrogen in their tires.

I guess someone who has to have an overpriced Caddy is saying they're not an average person.

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Nitrogen is a bit less effected by ambient tempreature changes, what does that mean the air tire pressuers won't fluccuate as much with temp changes. That said nitrogen can I believe effect the vales stems cauinsg corroosion and leaks. Seems more prevelant if you have a TPMS (tire pressuer monitoring system) on your vehicle. It's a bit of a sam as air that we breath ha a high contnet of nitrogen. As stated in a previous post a good drying systme on the air lines does the same thing.