1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nitride and other similar Treatments

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MikeInNPR, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Seeking comments from those of you that have had Nitride type coating done to your gun. Any clearance problems from buildup? Did it eliminate Gaulling? Overall pro's and con's and most importantly are you happy with it and would do it again. A Picture would also be great!

2. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

3. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Mike,

Nitriding is not a coating process it's heat treating. Coatings are Tinalloy, Parkerize, Nickle, etc etc.

here is a definition of nitriding

Nitriding is a surface-hardening heat treatment that introduces nitrogen into the surface of steel at a temperature range (500 to 550°C or 930 to 1020°F), while it is in the ferrite condition. Thus, nitriding is similar to carburizing in that surface composition is altered, but different in that nitrogen is added into ferrite instead of austenite.
    Because nitriding does not involve heating into the austenite phase field and a subsequent quench to form martensite, nitriding can be accomplished with a minimum of distortion and with excellent dimensional control.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It hardens the metal and thus it would make it harder to scratch

Gauling is caused by shooter neglect- nothing can eliminate that completely but hardening does help significantly

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

If you want a great plating process, see Tony DeSimone.

6. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I had a majestic grade K-80 with a coin finish. After 4 or 5 years the bottom of the receiver showed a lot of discoloration from my holding it. I sent it back to the factory and Braxton said let us do the nitride finish on it and I said OK. Great move as the finish looked just as good as the coin but holds up much better. You won't find a better looking finish IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.