1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nikon Scopes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Copper46, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Copper46

Copper46 Member

What is wrong with them, that so many have to be Factory Refurbished?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I think mine is just wonderful. Please elaborate. How many did you send back?

HM

3. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I too have had great luck with mine, not sure about the refurbished angle though they are not the only brand of refurb scopes I have seen offerred. I have even heard of Nightforce needing to refurb some of their scopes?

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have one and like it. It is only used for target shooting.

Don Verna

5. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

I have two Buckmasters, and both are great. I use one on my AR15, and one on my Ruger 77VT (.223). Never the first problem. Both hold excellent zero.

Best,
    Dennis

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Most of the time when an item is sold as "refurbished", the item was actually just returned. It does not actually mean that the product was defective or was even repaired at all.

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thank GOD someone brought this up. I just ordered a Nikon Monarch 5/20. I was a little nervous. Feel better now with your comments.Of course comments on the sellers sites are not as reliable as comments here. Bulge.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Nikon Monarchs are a great value and they compare favorably with the Leupold VXIII line but for about 25% less cost. You can get even lower prices on refurbished scopes and the fact there are refurbished units for sale tells me that Nikon stands behind their lifetime warranty. I don't think there is a quality problem though, all the Nikons I know of are holding up well.

9. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

Nikon has been making some of the best optics in the world for over a hundred years. I would not hesitate to buy any of their products.

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

"Nikon Monarchs are a great value and they compare favorably with the Leupold VXIII line

In your dreams.

11. DK65

DK65 TS Member

claybrdr-

Have you owned both scopes? I'm curious to know why you think the Leupold is better.

I do own both, and I have three Monarchs and one VX-3. The VX-3 was the first 'nice' scope I bought, followed by the first Monarch. So you can deduce which I like better...

My VX3 cracked a lens after being fired a few times (on a 7mm mag - so nothing huge). I now have a warranty replacement. A Monarch that is on that rifle now, and has survived hundreds of shots. That's why I like Monarchs. Both hold zero, and my eyes can't tell the difference in clarity.

Just my $0.02

-Drew

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yep Claybirder its true and I'm a Leupold guy. I base what I'm saying on side by side comparisions ... first person observations. Don't like Nikon? Fine thats your deal but they really are a good value.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have them all, Redfield, Burris, Leupold, Nikon Monarch, and still more.

One thing that surprises me is the increase in quality of the low cost scopes like Simmons and BSA. You get 90% of the preformance for a fifth or less of the cost of a high dollar one.

And Swarovski is a beautiful thing but they don't like me at the sports store where I choked and fainted at the price.

HM

14. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Coincidence, I just got my Monarch this afternoon. I had to check to see if I liked it better than my Leupold. No real comparison from what I see the Monarch shows a much clearer image. I'm glad I bought it. Bulge.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

BB, which power scope is that? Where did you buy it? Thanks. Hap

16. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Hap, I bought a Nikon Monarch 5-20 x44 with a Bullet drop compensator(BDC)reticle. I purchased it through E-bay. Wilderness sports up in Ma. was the seller. Cabela's wanted $529. From Wilderness I got it for $390. I am happy so far. Put it on the gun shortly after I received it. Now I have to calibrate the target knobs with the bullet I will be shooting from the gun. Bulge.

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Thanks BB, I'm looking for another scope and have read good things about the Nikon scopes. Hap

18. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Not that it matters to me but when I compared the Leupold VXIII side-by-side with the Nikon Monarch, I found the Monarch to be brighter and clearer. I see that my eyes are not alone in this assessment.

I would not hesitate to buy another Monarch, especially because of the cost vs. the Leupold. I am not saying the Leupold is a bad scope, just that I find the Nikon a better one for less $$$ o top of it. I have two Nikons and no Leupolds.

Tim

19. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Nikon is getting better at building scopes and their top end scopes are good but everyone forgets that there is much more to building a top quality riflescope than the lense. I would rather have a ruged and well proven recticle adjustment mechanism than a slightly better lense. You cannot beat Leupolds warranty, I've bought damaged ones and sent them in and got a new scope back.

20. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Dednlost, the Nikon warranty is lifetime. Bulge

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.