1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nikon or Canon?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have always had Canon brand cameras. Right now I have a Canon AE 1 that is in great shape with an extra lense. I also have a Canon AE1 Program camera, and a Canon EOS, all film cameras.

In my area, Target stopped developing film for under $6.00 a roll and the only place that does it now are some camera shops at about $12.00 to 15.00 per roll.

I have gone to camera shops to trade in my Canon cameras and all they want is the AE 1 for trade in or to purchase it out right.

I would like to go to a digital point and shoot, any suggestions, Canon or Nikon?
    Steve Balistreri

2. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

For 40 0dd years I've been switching between the 2. My daughter,23 neeeded a new camera for school, etc, wound up buying a Panasonic for her. She was amazed how everything functioned better, especially the zoom. Pay your money take your chance- good luck Lee

3. shotgunshoot

shotgunshoot Member

I just bought a Cannon on sale at Amazon, with great features.

Here is a good site that helps you go through all the different camera options called SnapSort.

Hope that helps,

4. senior smoke

Thanks Lee.
    Steve

5. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I have a Canon. Three of us took a basic camera class together two years ago. The class was geared towards Canon's and not just because they sold them too (the sell many brands).

I would estimate of the 25 students that 50% were Canons, about 30% were Nikon's and the others being a variety...the instructor stated that was about like most classes he teaches in what people have or buy once they get started.

6. thunder

thunder Active Member

My wife is a avid photographer and started with the Panasonic, then went to a Canon mid priced and now upgraded to the Canon 5 Mark III. They have all been fantastic camera's but her Canon Mark 5 is unbelievable. I would look at the Canon line.

7. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

I too had Canon cameras starting with an FTB, predecessor to the AE-1. What I discovered after too long was the weakness of canon lenses. I did not like the resolution of the pictures but scratched my noggin as to 'whut hoppened'. Sooo. one day I bought a new tele from an aftermarket manufacturer and whalla! Look at the rez on these prints! Fast forward to today, I am using a Sony mid-size with a Carl Ziess lense. Sony thoughtfully stuck with what they do better and sub-contracted Ziess to supply the glass. I am very happy with this camera.

Follow your instincts and read the camera magazine tests online. They all talk about resolution as well as chromatics and ease of use features. Enjoy your new toys!

8. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

Canon and Nikon bodies are of similar quality, probably Nikon the better, BUT Nikon lenses are way in front of all others. I used to teach photography in the days of SLR and rollfilm. Ancient stuff.

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

First questions is weather your lenses will work with a new digiatal Canon body. If they do but a new Canon. If they won't that buybwhatbyou like. I have stayed with Nikon for 40 plus years becaue their lenses work with just about any of their cameras. There is some concern that Dx lenses will not function properly with FX cameras. I am thinking of upgrading to one of the new FX bodies but am concerned that my DX lenses won't work.

The end result is buy what turns you on.

10. senior smoke

Shotgunshoot:
    Thanks for the info on that site.
    Steve

Thunder:
    That Cannon mark 5 is a great camera with some new features.
    Steve

When I first started out in photography my instructor told me that most professionals used Nikon as they made their own lense and which was better than Cannon's in his opinon? He also said Cannon and Nikon hate each other as they are competitiors.

Despite his feelings, I always used Cannon as they were a little less expensive than the Nikon at the time of purchase.

I have always loved my AE-1's as it was one of the most popular cameras ever made. My uncle was a professional photographer and I inherited his Hasselblad from the 70's. I gave it to my brother as he now collects and uses quality older cameras. He has no desire for a point and shoot camera as he has no desire to own one, the reason I am asking either Cannon or Nikon in a point and shoot?

Steve

11. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Steve, I'm asking for the Nikon Coolpix 810 for Christmas. It has 26 zoom, which is good for me from Grizzlies to rainbows. I also see owls, heron, deer, crazy not supposed to be here birds, etc across my pond. I'm not real savvy on lenses, etc but want to upgrade my old Canon powershot point & shoot. I think I'm looking at a little under $200.

12. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I started shooting film in the early 80s.

I had a Nikon D40 (entry level DSLR) and it too great pics. I recently got a Nikon D7000, wow what a camera!

The difference in Canon or Nikon bodies is like Chevy or Ford, personal preference. Nikon and Canon lenses are so close now it really takes side by side comparison to tell hte difference.

Buy whichever camera you understand easily.

My friend Mike Hessong in Texas shoots a Sony and takes great pics!

13. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Which ever camera you end up with be sure it has an optical zoom not a digital zoom. Digital zoom just blows up part of the image to make it larger thereby creating a more grainy look. An optical zoom is jusy like a film style zoom lens, the lens moves back & forth so you get a grain free image at all focal lengths. BTW, the Canon 5D MK111 is about $3600 with glass.

Eric

14. SundayDuffer

SundayDuffer TS Member

I have a Nikon D5100. Love it. It's in the middle of the road for Nikon's DSLRs. If you dont want to spend much....take a look at D3100 or D3200 from Nikons. You wont regret buying it. Good luck with your search.

15. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

I find Ken Rockwell's website very informative:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

I too, on his advice, got a Nikon 5100, which has the flip-out screen for low or high shots-very useful. They're currently heavily discounted because the 5200 has just been introduced. Stick to the DX format to keep your lenses light.

Ned

16. senior smoke

Yvonne:
    The Nikon L810 list for $329.00 and is on sale at a local camera shop in my area for $229.99. It has 16 mega pixels, 26x wide optical zoom, and has a 3" hi res Lcd display. It comes in Black, red, and blue. Nice camera for the price.
    Steve

17. oz

oz Active Member

I switched from Nikon 35mm to Canon digital a long time ago. I chose my Canon fot the features and I can use a viewfinder rather than the little TV. Either Nikon or Canon are excellent.

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have spoken to alot of Pro Photographer and they all said NIKON. The ones that I has noticed but not spoken to had NIKON.

Canon bodies and lens will not all match up. In other words not all bodies and all lens fit together. Your limited to bodies and lens.

Nikon all gen bodies and lens will match up. You will not have to worry about the NEW lens fitting your body.

I bought about a month ago a Nikon D3100 camera. It has a 18-55mm lens that I have been using for my work and I will be buying another lens once I get the extra money. Still working on which one to buy.

Talk to the News Paper photographers in your area and see what they are using and the Portrait Photographers also. They will have NIKONS.

I started off with 35mm and I loved working with it and the dark room. But it was a costly thing. With digital there is only the cost of the camera and card. Get the large or biggist card you can so you will not run out of room on the card per day. If you didn't like how the pic came out you delete it and take another. No cost in doing so.

When you get a digital camera get a laptop computer. If your traveling you can down load your card per day to the computer then delete whats on the card and you then have a fresh card for the next day. Everything is on the computer as a storage den. The computer will hold a hell of alot of pic's.

Let us know what you do. Good luck.

19. senior smoke

Auctioneer:
    Thanks for the good advice. Right now I debating purchasing the Nikon P510 with a 42x wide optical zoom on sale for $349.99.
    Steve

20. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Are we talking about SLRs with change-out lenses or a grown-up point and shoot? Also, don't get in a numbers game with megapixels. At some point that only pertains to big enlargements to show pixelation in the print. Go try several brands at your pricepoint in the store and you will soon have opinions about lousy button placement or difficult navigation of all the do-dads. Remember your basics about apature size as well. Features without adequate light will be of little value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.