1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nikon Eagleview Bino's ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Robb, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robb

Robb Member

I know these aren't on the higher end like some mentioned awhile back but in the right price range. The Eagleview line are variable power. 8-24X25. Anyone using these as I have no experience with variable power binoculars. $170-180 at Gamaliel's. What do you guys think?

2. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I've too never used variables. You might pose a question on Optics Talk about variable-power binoculars, to get their positives & negatives. Phil E

3. Robb

Robb Member

Thanks, I'll check it out.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

you kind of get what you pay for with optics

at 170 dollars they would not be at the high end but pretty near the bottom 1/3

go somewhere that has a lot of optics in stock- and look through them yourself- and then determine what you want to buy based on your budget and the view compared to the others

Gene

5. BustClays

BustClays Member

I sold these once in awhile and only to customers who insisted on a variable. I always found that the field of view, even at the low mag. was small when compared to a fixed mag and that they did not have enough eye relief to use with glasses throughout their range. Also the exit pupil is so small at the high mag that the image is dim and loses clarity, also not waterproof. If you want to spend little and get alot, I highly recommend the Bushnell Legacy WP in 8X42. BAK-4 prisms, fully multi-coated optics, 100% fog proof and waterproof, long eye relief, very large field of view, twist up eye cups, rubber coated, lifetime warranty and can be had for under $100. I use some very high end stuff, but I can always depend on these, and if I lose them, it's not a big deal.
    Good Luck,

bustclays

6. Robb

Robb Member

Thanks guys. Sounds like the variable is out. Must be waterproof. Used to have Nikon rifle scopes and they were great. That's why I'm looking at Nikon. Can't find the Bushnell Legacy in Cabelas. Where can you do the best price wise? Just want some decent compacts but better than the Wally World stuff. Been there with so called waterproof Simmons. Leason learned.

7. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Just Google it, Robb. Around $65. You might also look at the Cornell Ornithology Dept's binocular report, at http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/winter2005/Age_Binos.html Phil E

8. Robb

Robb Member

I've Googled and read alot that I don't understand. Just want something nice and light weight for general use. What about the Nikon Prostaff ATB 8X25? Lighter than the Bushnell but smaller objective.

9. BustClays

BustClays Member

Try the Bushnell legend 8X26, all the features you could want.
    bustclays

10. Robb

Robb Member

Thanks bustclays, will check out the Legends.

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

My caveat above wasnt to indicate that the nikons were not a good value for the money- I have always found Nikon products to be good-- but the product you mentioned is far from the top end

just go compare at like a Cabellas - you will see and feel the difference and then compare to the price tag and develop your own feel for how much you want to spend on which product

you really need to get a feel for what you want and how much you want to pay yourself- reading or listening is fine but having them in your hand is the best test along with the reports you read

Gene

12. Robb

Robb Member

I posed a couple of questions on opticstalk.com and got one response in five days. Lots of good info there though. This site must have alot more traffic as help here is much more plentiful.

Decided to go with Leupold Mesa from Cabelas. I found nothing good about zoom binos. Thanks to all that helped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.