1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nighttime Predator set up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

This should work for hunting Bobcats, Coyotes and Fox at night. Savage Predator rifle in 223 caliber. Leupold 4.5x14x50 scope with Illuminated reticle. Kill light that is red. Any predators hunters on this web site. LOL

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

No thermal scope? I'll tell you what, if I ever give up competitive clay target sports, I'm selling my kolar and buying a thermal scope for a TBD rifle LOL.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You mean are there any predator hunters here?

Yes.

My night coyote gun is an 1187 with Trijicon tritium night sights.

My son Sean has a Savage Predator Hunter in .223 also. Very accurate.

4. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Back in "my day" I did an awful lot of daytime predator calling, mostly Coyotes and Bobcats. Occasional deer would come in and really react to the call. However, night calling was a different story and a limited experience for me. I didn't like the dark intervals between shining the light upwards to catch eyes in the glare. Once we had several sets of eyes higher above the ground than we expected that turned out to be cattle looking at us. I quit the night stuff when something literally ran right across my feet while calling, didn't hear it coming nor did I see what it was...coyote, cat, fox ??? All I know is I didn't have a change of shorts with me and it was a long way home. Holy shit, Batman, what was that???

Cheers

Larry

5. Landshark

Landshark Member

What kind of kill light are you using. Been thinking of getting an ND-3 for my Savage rig.

6. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

I had a ND-3 and it didn't work below 50 degrees. It also spooked coyotes. I've been using a kill light 250 and it works pretty well. It is whats shown in the first picture of the thread.

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a russian night scope(I don't have a clue what model or anything) on a 22 hornet and have never used it yet but plan to try it for night hog hunting. I also have a 250 and originally purchased it for deer control on farm plots commonly called permit shooting. Jackie B.

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

A handfull of Twenties is all thats needed south of the border when chasing the semi-elusive brown breasted mattress thrashers after dark !! Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.