1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nightly train horn pissing me off

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

What is the title of the guy who works for the train company who has the power to tell the driver to stop honking his horn in my neighborhood?

I can't tell you the number of times I've wondered - what just woke me up, only to hear the horn of that coal train honk once more.

There are so many other options today with cell phones, walkie talkies, radios, etc. for train employees to use when they need to communicate with each other. Why are they honking their damn horn? The intersections with streets are well protected with lights and gates.

There are plenty of things I don't know about trains... Fill me in so I'm educated before I talk to whomever.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

It's a legal requirement from the NTSB that the conductor blow the horn at intersections. Your sounding like one of the bozos that will buy a house by an airport and then bitch about the noise from the planes.

Jim

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

What Jim said. Who was there first, Joe or the train? If ya don't like it, move.

4. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

In the city I work in they have a no train horn ordinance. No train horns allowed in the city at all and the company I work for is right next to an intersection. They never blow the horn. You might want to contact someone in your city council and see if they can help.

Steve

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

With the recent purchase of the EJ&E by CN, Joe is getting more track traffic...

Joe, I can offer a small supply of Howard Leight's with a 30+ NRR

Jay

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I know a guy who put a train horn in his truck. You ought to see what that does when you crawl up on some cell-phone texting idiot on the freeway....or better yet, some punk kid taking his own sweet time to cross a busy street. I honestly believe that it comes colose to waking the dead.

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

We camped in the West Virginia mountains years ago and when the train with over 60 coal cars came within the town boundries it started tooting the horn very slowly . We thought it was the nicest sound at the time and probably still do . Now at home in a small town they wanted to run a MOM passenger line thru here as a branch line from South Jersey to Central Jersey to link with trains to NY and Philly and mostly all people are against it including myself . 4 intersections and horns blowing and bells ringing , I don`t think so .

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Jay, Thanks, crossed my mind to try the ear plugs I use for shooting. Will give it a go.

Did a little research and found a coal train parked with no one in the engine. Burlington Northern & Santa Fe. They bring coal in from Wyoming (I think) and use it to power the lights in Chicago. Got my exercise in and had a ball climbing up on that engine looking in the windows. Door was locked and machine was idling. Four seats in that thing. I want a ride.

I was ready with my question: Why you blow your horn so much?

While I was out walking a Union Pacific freight train went by. He honked at the crossing which is understandable. What I'm hearing is honking over and over again. You can tell the train is hardly moving because it doesn't fade like it should if it was passing by.

I could care less about the Sunday morning traffic - time to get up anyway. It's the 1, 2 and 3 am honking that I don't like. Just put in better windows with a higher sound proof level. Didn't help.

Thinking of a sign: "Don't wake me up" or "Quiet Zone". That will get a smile out of the drivers I'm sure. If I get the right guys phone number, I'll call him at the office every time they wake me up and leave a message.

City council is a good idea. While walking this morning I noticed alot of town homes on the other side of the tracks. Those poor people are right next to the switching yard.

I should be out shooting...later.

Bozo Joe

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Joe buddy....You aint heard nothing yet.

I was a kid during the tail end of the steam era.

Those large steam engines passed a little more than 1/4 mi. from my house hauling coal from W.Va.

Once in a while in the winter one would get stuck on the steep grade.

Blew hell out of the steam whistle for what seemed like hours.

An era gone by, I kind of miss it now.

Regards....Gerald

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Joe:

Thought you were farther west... when the wind blows just right, I can hear the clicketty clack and horns of the BNSF also!

When I first moved into our house on 1st Street on Elmhurst, it felt like the freight trains were in our bed!

After a month... what trains?! My offer of plugs stand!

Jay

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I love the sound of a train horn early in the am. Also love to hear the roosters crow, I miss both

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

The good thing about hearing the rooster crow is that you woke up. LOL Jackie B.

13. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Ask your city council to investigate quiet zones.

This means meeting certain safety regulations at each intersection, which costs about a million each, plus or minus.

It will take about three to five years to accomplish.

Start now, and when the economy improves, the money will be there to fund it. Transportation grants are usually available.

Good shooting in the meantime.

Dave

14. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I grew up a block from a huge H. J. Heinz plant in Medina, New York. All night long we could hear the sounds of steam switching engines. Memories... Ron Renouf

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

You will get used to after a few years, I did.

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

This reminds me of the story "Damn Pierre".. A census taker was in a small village in South france.. Going to the first door.. he asked the lady of the house.. How many people lived there.. She replied.. myself,my husband.. and our 11 children.. Damn Pierre..

Going to the next few houses.. he got a similar story.. and figured the town was most prolific.. Finally.. noting EVERYONE finished their statement with Damn Pierre.. he had to ask.. Just who is Pierre.. to which the reply was.. The train conductor.. "See.. he passes every morning at 5.15 am.. and blows the horn many many times.. He wakes all of us.. Now.. it's to late to go back to sleep.. and to early to get up.. SOooooooooo.. Damn Pierre..".. This was cleaned up for our younger readers.. but you can get the jist of it.. All Good.. Mike

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    NTSB does not mandate train horn use. FRA (Federal Railroad Administration) does.

Joe, if you feel you want to pursue establishing a "quiet zone", click the link and see if the criteria pertains to your situation. Good luck.

18. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

I don't mind the train hoot ,,I can barely hear it ,,,however my German Short hair has much better ears than I do ,,She has to howl every time the train does ,,,Mx8Dave She sleeps in the house ,,no one does when the train passes thru

19. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

When I got transferred to Fort Wayne one of the hardest things to get used too (other than staying in an apartment) was all the train horns. I've been here almost 8 months now and I don't even notice them any more.

Rich in Indiana

20. BWPBeretta

BWPBeretta TS Member

It is federal law to blow the horn 2 longs a sort and a long when going over public crossing. If you look down track you may see a sign withba W on it. This is a whistle board where the engineer starts his horn blowing.

It is possible for your local government to file for what is called a quiet zone. This transfers liability to your township etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.