1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Night Vision Scope ????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I have been shooting a lot of pigs during the 30 minute window prior to dusk but could do better if I could shoot into the night. Has anyone on here have experience with a night vision scope for a rifle? Thanks, Rick ~~~Texas

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Check out this website. With this you might not have to go with the expense of night vision. It's 329.95 in American Rifleman magazine.

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If its not ITT and made i the USA its junk. I have looked at some and they just don't add up to what your told. Gen 3 and if you can find it gen 4.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Looks like we got a poacher here!

ss

5. rick979

rick979 Active Member

No poaching here....my ranch....my pigs

6. barbarosa

barbarosa TS Member

heh yeah no poaching you can hunt feral pigs 24/7 here in Texas.

Just curious Rick are you stalking the pigs or are you shooting them at a feeder?

Reason I ask is because a friend used to hook a Crappie light to a battery and tied it to a tree branch overlooking the feeder. As long as it was turned on before sundown the pigs didn't seem to mind, probably figured it was moonlight. Anyway through a good scope on low magnification it was almost like hunting during the day.

I had an ATN MK 350 Guardian Generation 1 that was OK for twilight or on a full moon night, but on a moonless or cloudy night it was pretty useless. I woud strongly suggest getting something in Generation 2 or higher if your budget permits.

-Barry

7. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I don't mind spending up to $600-$700 for something that will allow me get more shots. I don't use a feeder but the idea of a light over the feeder sounds like a good idea too. I have one of the lights you are talking about that works off 12 volts I just want to carry it back for a re-charge since I hunt on foot and don't use a Gator any more. Thanks, Rick~~~Texas

8. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Rick,

Contact the young man you sold your Krieghoff to. His uncle has been shooting lots of pigs out of his fields down in Port Lavaca and he could tell you somethings about what they have set up. I talked with his uncle at a shoot and he showed me his "pig gun" with the 1st generation night vision scope. I know there are 2nd and 3rd generation models out there, but they are definitely expensive, and he says the 1st generation does fine for helping erradicate the pest from his fields. I really don't think he is making much of a dent in the population, because they have almost over run this section of the state. I know Kevin shoots a lot of pigs with his uncle and 1st cousins.

Mike* (MH*)

9. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Hey .....thanks Mike. Say a big "Howdy" to Kevin for me. Your buddy, Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.