1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Night vision goggles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brayburn, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brayburn

Brayburn TS Member

First I am sorry that this is not a trap/clay shooting topic, I am looking for help and information regarding the use of night vision goggles. What green laser sight products are available in the U.S. for legal civilian ownership for use with night vision goggles for vermin/fox control with a Remi 1100 shotgun. Thank you Philip

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'm going to assume you've made sure you can hunt at night, use night vision devices, and use a device that projects a beam for hunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0dwiWtRJ08

There are some issues with using a laser. Notice in the photo above that there is no precise dot. This laser is painting the entire coyote, which is not desirable for rifle use. Shotgun use would be OK though.

http://youtu.be/AoblNytUocA

This video shows another problem of IR lasers in wooded or brushy conditions. Notice that when the beam hits twigs, saplings, etc,, that it causes a bright flare at that point. This means that lasers work better in more open conditions.

As for which specific laser to get, I can't recommend any. I have not used them because we cannot hunt with them, and I don't have any tactical use for them either. All I can tell you is to make sure they are truly IR rated, or they're going to be way too bright for NV use.

Myself, we can hunt some furbearer and pest species at night, or coyotes at night on land you own or are the agent of. We cannot use NV or anything that projects a beam. So I use an 1187 with rifle sights, and these sights use Trijicon tritium night sights. However, this limits use to moonlight, with the exception of a few species that can legally be spotlighted. I can go into more detail on the tritium sights if this interests you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.