1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Night Time Scope for Coyote's

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Night Time Scope for Coyote

What is a good night scope for Coyotes?
  2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The problem is light gathering. Scopes are very difficult to use at night. Even with an illuminated reticle they can be difficult to use. Leupold makes several illuminated dot reticles.

Red dots are better, but they need to be able to be dimmed quite a bit. The single dot is better than the dot-circle or other more complex reticles because they are just too "busy" for fast action, and few of these sights have a small enough dot. The EOTech has a 1 MOA dot that can be dimmed quite a bit, but most have a 65 MOA ring around them that ruins their use on coyotes. EOTech does make a 1 MOA dot only model, though, and that is probably the best. EOTechs work best on an AR15 platform, not on a bolt action, due to height.

Scopes and red dots work best if the coyote is illuminated. Spotlighting them is not allowed in Oregon, so I went with a different approach.

View attachment 216964

Rem 1187 with a 21" rifle sighted barrel with Rem Chokes and with the sight blades replaced by Trijucon tritium 3-dot night sights (RE-01).

This gives me a gun that works well under moonlit conditions and is able to take coyotes out to 50 yards with premium #4 buckshot through a superfull turkey choke.

If a rifle is insisted upon, note that some of the Rem pump rifles and lightweight bolt actions have the same type of sight blades, so they should be able to accept the same night sight blades.
  3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Go to Optics Planet and check them out. Big bucks for anything decent.
  4. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Save your money and wait till we have a full moon then go, then any scope will work or use a shotgun if its that dark out. The bad thing about night scopes are if you can't see them with out a night scope then you have to be looking in the night scope the hols time your hunting to see anything.
    Just pick your self up a scope that has the cross hairs light up and you will be fine.
    I had a night scope not long ago and I couldn't wait to sell it. I only use it 2 time and the guy I sold it to use it 3 times and he sold it and it was a high dollar scope.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.