1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Night shooting/cost of targets

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tallpaul, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

We are currently installing lights on a combination skeet and trap field here at our club in Norwich, Connecticut. There aren't any other clubs in the Southeastern CT area that shoot at night, and we want to attract shooters from other clubs to shoot at night once the lights are up. We are initially going to schedule one night a week for skeet and another night for trap. My question to other clubs out there shooting at night is, how do you price your targets differently from those shot during the day? We need to charge more to cover the cost of the lights and electricity, but we also don't want to charge too much and scare non-members away. Nor do we want to price rounds so high that even members won't want to shoot more than one round. Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated. Paul Jezierski, Norwich Fish & Game, Norwich, CT.

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Meter the lights and charge accordingly or you could consider it free money that the club would not normally see if night shooting did not take place and not raise the price.

3. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

Clubs I've shot at night charge 50¢ more per 25 targets once the lights are turned on. I don't know how this impacts the cost of the power used during this time.

Andy Moreland

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Harrrrrrrrrrrrrr....cheap as shooters are....leave the price the same for the first month! Don't scare them off with a price increase for shooting under the lights.

Now after 2 months....check your power bill....is the increased cost high enough to justify a price increse verses the additional revenue to the club? That is when you decide!

5. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

It should be easy enough to just figure the cost of the electric by using the wattage/draw of the lights and using your cost per Kilowatt hour of electrcity. Bill

6. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

the electricity is a cost of doing business, your are open longer so overall you'll make more money, I would just absorb the cost and figure the extra income.

on the other hand, if the cost is too great....raise the cost of all the birds, so you don't scare people off, the average of the increase on all the birds compared to just the ones thrown at night will not be as big a hit to the pocket.

tony

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

New Musco lighting. Same price day or night $7.25/25.

Eric

8. blooch

blooch Member

I have 1500 metal halides, 3 of them on 28' tall steel poles that I installed about 20 years ago for a whopping $1100 total. Wiring and all. Don't know how much your installation cost, but on our power, it costs about .$50/hour to run the lights, and our power is about 12 cents/kwh. WE charged 50 cnts a round for night targets for aobut 2 years and recouped all our outlay, shooting on one field twice a week for 3-4 hours at night.

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I guess I should add that the range is open at night Mon-Thursday 6-9pm. Six fields, 10 fixtures per field. Always same price, $7.25/25.

Eric

10. Bulldog50

Bulldog50 TS Member

Here's a suggestion. Charge 50 cents more for non members. Then encourage them to join your club as well as their "home" club. More member dues will pay for your lights and you will gain more overall shooters.

11. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I go to 3 different clubs that shoot at night. The charge per round has always been the same as day shooting. You will make up the cost of the lighting with the greater number of targets thrown.

Don't give anyone any reason not to come at night. Trapshooters being trapshooters a $.50 difference is enough to turn some people off. Of course if you're the only game in town........

12. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

We, Manheim Sportsman's Association, Manheim, Pa do not charge additional money for shooting under lights. We are open for practice shooting every Wednesday night and with the end of daylight savings time we are now shooting under lights. We have two traps with 6 1500 watt stadium lights. I personally feel that it is counter productive to charge for lighting.

In the years that I have been involved with trap shooting at the club, the question had never come up.

With the cost of targets at $9.65 per case (including tax) we, several months ago increased out cost for 50 targets from $6.00 to $7.00. I really don't feel it is fair (with the cost of targets) to charge additional money for lights!!!

I might add that our coffee is complimentary.

Frank

13. missed some

missed some TS Member

same price at clubs I shoot at.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We don't charge any more. The added revenue from the bar more than makes up for the cost of lighting.

We shoot 3 nights a week. Metal halides are the way to go, but turn them off immediately after shooting. 90 bucks a bulb is the replacement cost.

And they lose efificiency after so many hours. Have someone with a light meter get readings on the new ones and check periodically.

HM

15. blooch

blooch Member

If the club doesn't already have lighted fields, why should the club eat the expense of putting them in? And operating them? Repairing them or replacing bulbs? Are they already making exhorbitant rates for targets in the daytime?

16. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Have you thought about installing a wind turbine and harnessing the wind to power the lights?

How about possibly solar?

If you do increase the cost do it no more than 1/2 a buck or a dollar max.

17. bigbore613

bigbore613 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Extra .50 here at Fredericksburg for the last 30 years. Jeff

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I've shot at alot of clubs across this country and in my years of involvement have yet to encounter one that charged more for night targets.

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Just my opinion you understand but if you have a combination trap and skeet program. Then charge the same price across the board day or night. You have not added a different program you have just expanded the existing program. So if you increase prices then everyone pays day or night.

If you have two different programs one for trap and one for skeet(with different prices)then the same thing raise your prices across the board day and night everyone pays the same. That is the way it is where I shoot when the price is increased it is increased equally and across the board. Again JMO

Bob Lawless

20. mrgcskeet

mrgcskeet TS Member

Years ago we started shooting at night at our club as well (combo, trap/skeet). If you can, do this. Take a meter reading before you ever turn the lights/anything electric on at your club when you show up. After all shooting is over and and all electrical if off, use a flashlight and take another meter reading. Call your electrical provider and give them the readings. They can tell you exactly for that evening how much your electrical cost you. At our club, it was an extra $0.75 per night... including lights! Point is, if your lights are halfway efficient (our are new metal halide lights), the extra juice will not cost you as much as you might imagine! Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.