1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nigerian Scam - Can You Say "Stupid?"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by timb99, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Nigerian Scam - Can You Say

SWEET HOME, Ore. — An Oregon woman who is out $400,000 after falling for a well-known Internet scam says she wasn’t a sucker or an easy mark.

Janella Spears of Sweet Home says she simply became curious when she received an e-mail promising her $20.5 million if she would only help out a long-lost relative identified as J.B. Spears with a little money up front.

Spears told KATU-TV about the scammers’ ability to identify her relative by name was persuasive.

“That’s what got me to believe it,” She said. “So, why wouldn’t you send over $100?”

Spears, who is a nursing administrator and CPR teacher, said she mortgaged the house and took a lien out on the family car, and ran through her husband’s retirement account.

“The retirement he was dreaming of — cruising and going around and seeing America — is pretty much gone for him right now,” she said.

She estimates it will take two years to clear the debt that accumulated in the more than two years she spent sending money to con artists.

Her family and bank officials told her it was all a scam, she said, and begged her to stop, but she persisted because she became obsessed with getting paid.

The scheme is often called the “Nigerian scam” and it’s familiar to many people with e-mail accounts. It still exists and it still works.

Spears first sent $100 through an untraceable wire service as directed by the scammers. Then, more multimillion dollar promises followed so long as she sent more money.

The scammers sent Spears official-looking documents and certificates from the Bank of Nigeria and the United Nations. President Bush and FBI Director Robert Mueller were also involved, the e-mails said, and needed her help.

They sent official-looking documents and certificates from the Bank of Nigeria and even from the United Nations, saying her payment was “guaranteed.”

But it wasn’t and now Spears is paying the price for her costly lesson.

“The hope is [other people] are not going to fall as hard as I fell,” Spears said.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

timb99- Are you telling me that sending my bank account number to the nice person at the Bank of Nigeria is not a good idea? Would I be better off playing the high gun purse at the Dixie Grand?

Pat Ireland

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Pat, as with all matters financial, you need good advice. As a gesture to a fellow trapshooter, I would be happy to help you direct your money to a guaranteed payoff.

All I need is your bank account, and the account and security codes for several VISA and Mastercards. I have it on good authority that my assistants in Nigeria, South Africa, and Singapore will be able to get funds to you for aiding soon-to-be ex-patriots.

Financially yours,

Dennis

<):~)

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"Would I be better off playing the high gun purse at the Dixie Grand?"

Yep, go with the Nigerian deal. LOL

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Like almost all of us, I get those e mails. I always answer them with a request for $1000.00 U.S. cash sent to me directly as a show of good faith. The number of those types of e mails has diminished greatly.

6. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

If she was that foolish and that greedy then she deserved what she got! I have no sympathy for anyone who thinks they are going to get rich via some internet letter! In this case the greedy one got scammed!

Rick Brohmer

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

It's also fun to tell those scammers that you live in Jamaica and have put a spell on them.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Wait just a dog gone minute, you mean I didn't hit the lottery in Nigeria for almost $30 million dollars and the check they sent was not lost in the mail ..? Being as I never bought the ticket they said I did, I figured it was a bunch of BS anyway ... I never been to a 7-11 in Nigeria that I can remember anyway ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Darn. I already took a second on my home and sent it off to my new friend in Nigeria. Do you think I was scammed too? It really makes me mad because I was only promised 17 million. What a raw deal.

10. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for my "Brown Gun." Anyone remember that one?

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jerry,

I remember the brown gun.

wireguy,

No, I'm sure YOURS is a legitimate arrangement. No need to worry.

Pat,

I suggest low interest rate Certificates of Deposit.

12. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Thanks Timb99. That was a good one. The price was reasonable for a brown gun if I remember correctly.

13. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Maybe she isn't so dumb afterall....you know all the bleeding hearts out there that will send her money just because?

Who knows.

Rickyd

14. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

She went thru her husbands retirement? I wonder if he knew what she was doing or if she did it behind his back?

15. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Maybe Obama will bail her out. If he doesn't, he has relatives over there who should be able to track down the bad guys.

Mike

16. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You guys laugh but it happens all the time, that's why these guys do it. And it's not just the internet schemes, there's thousands of others: Ponzi schemes:
    pyramid schemes, chain letters, investment schemes of all kinds. In fact, just look at the informercials on late night TV, and you'll see all the scams you want - that have stayed just this side of being crooked -barely.

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It's comforting knowing that I'm not the only one that fell for this. I feel so violated now.

Tron

18. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Actually, the Nigerian thing might be better than putting your money in a bank or the stock market.

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I guess I must admit. I got caught in the trap shooting scam.

I gave so much of my money to gun manufacturers, gun clubs, ammo manufacturers, lead manufacturers, wads, powder, you name it.

I fell in way over my head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.