Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NICS (BRADY) DENIAL FOR POT MISDEMEANOR

7K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  ivanhoe 
#1 ·
This is more of an informational thread, however, I do want to ask if anyone has any further input.

I was denied for a NICS Brady check for the redemption of my Glock at a pawn shop. I have no felony convictions or domestic violences.

I have not yet recieved the official BATF explanation, but some research showed me that I will be denied for being a DRUG ADDICT. The definition of a drug addict that pertains to me is that I was given a recent conviction for marijuana possession. According to a document I found (an Alasken justice department document of all things), the BATF considers you a drug addict if you have a conviction for drugs of any kind in the last year, or if you have multiple (more than two) arrests for drugs in the last five years if one of those arrests happened within the last year.

There are other criteria that does not pertain to me, such as treatment (court ordered or voluntary) in the last year, any positive drug tests in the last year, or visible signs of drug addiction (needlemarks, for example).

The bottom line is I will need to wait a year to pass Brady. I guess that's doable. It's a damn shame I lost my Glock tho!

Anyone with additional information, please add to this thread. This thread is mostly posted for others in my predicament who will be searching for this answer.

See less See more
#27 ·
People are confused by the term felony

felony doesnt equal felony

lots of states have crimes they call misdemeanors ( of various sorts) which are punishable by 1 year in prison

If it is punishable by 1 year in prison or more- it is counted as a felony for federal purposes even if the state doesnt count it as such.

regards from Iowa

Gene

#28 ·
Gizmo110 wrote:
"If you smoke dope I dont want you to have a gun around me much less be on a trap line with me. Smoke dope and you get no guns makes a lot of sense to me. "

Sounds just as reasonable as "If you drink alcohol, I don't want you to have a gun around me, much less be on the Trap line with me."

Sure, alcohol is "legal" and pot isn't, but being under the influence is just that, regardless of how you do it! Save the drinking until AFTER you are done shooting!

AndyH ;-)

#29 ·
Andy I dont know how you got from my post that it is ok to shoot drunk?????

Yeah I dont want you drinking while we are shooting either. In the Great State of Wisconsin you cannot be under the influence of alcohol or drugs when shooting or armed. I was not saying it is ok to shoot under the influence of alcohol but one or two beers after shooting is just fine, dope is illegal.

All I am saying is dope is illegal a person makes a consious choice to buy, possess, and use the pot. All the time knowing that it is illegal and will effect the person's ability to own a gun within the law. Whether you think pot should or should not be legal, live within the law, if you disagree follow the proper procedure to get it changed. But just breaking the law leads to anarchy and with anarchy we all lose.

Tim

#30 ·
jcl You need to go the website and read what is there. I put it in twice because I don't know if it will fit in the web address line or not. The police in the scenario you are describing are acting within the law.

You may think it unscrupulous but it is legal like it or not.

http://www.familylawyerservice.com/delaware-county-pa-pennsylvania-dui-drunk-driving-defense-lawyer-attorney-parked-car-dui.html

BTW this last story you have given us has nothing to do with.

"The anti-gunner idiots can't seem to get it in their heads that criminals don't obey laws. That is why they are called criminals."

Honest citizens don't drive under the influence(DUI)because they are breaking the law. Honest citizens don't break the law.

Bob Lawless

#31 ·
GIZMO110 - In no way did I mean for anyone to think that what you said condones shooting drunk! I, for one, believe NO ONE should consume ANYTHING that would diminish one's senses while shooting! A beer or two AFTER shooting is OK!

Sorry for any confusion on this!

AndyH ;-)

#33 ·
jcl

"Seems as though you can't resist an attempt to start an argument. Sorry but I don't play your asinine games. BTW I was on this site long before I saw the name ivanhoe. Enough said!!"

If I am the problem here why did you delete all of your post to this thread??? As far as starting an argument is concerned this is a discussion website if you can't be part of the discussion with out getting upset when some one else has an opinion then there are alternatives.

So your seniority on this site means I am not entitled to my opinion. At least that is what I am getting from that statement.

You have a nice night now sleep tight .

Bob Lawless

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.