1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nickel or Nitrate?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Got a gun if you look at it wrong it shows rust. I tried Rem oil on it but that don't work. THinking about getting receiver, trigger guard and forearm hardware nickeled or nitrated? Which is better for long term wear and who does it? Thanks

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Try the above for nickel. He did my Krieghoff. Mike.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Nickel wears faster with handling but nitrate tends to stain easier from certain cleaning chemicals and is more expensive

4. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

http://mahovskysmetalife.com/ try this link. They do hard chrome plating last long time and looks great. Having my wifes BT 99 receiver & forearm iron done in a satin style.

Jasin in PA

5. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

Use Flitz to remove the rust spots without harming the bluing and then use SLP2000 to keep the metal from anymore rust. This stuff is amazing. Bonds with the metal, wish I knew about it years ago. If you have to redo the receiver a good Nickel job will outlast you. Good luck! Pete

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Complex question

Someone mentioned nickle is more stain resistant- I havent found that to be the case

Nitriding a metal surface does add hardness also- so less likely to aquire or show small scratches--

Nickle tends to slighly obscure fine engraving- if you have ever had an engraved nickled receiver denickled( if that is a word) you remember saying - wow- when you looked at the bare metal after that

Now you can make Nickle harder- you heat it to about 1200 degrees or some processes less - I think and this is pure conjecture that it somewhat collaspes the molecules and makes them more dense---- It does change the color of Nickle when you do that but it does make it harder- nearly as hard as Chrome

Chrome isnt the answer either as it really fills in engraving and tends to end up more shiny even with sandblasted finish than nickle

I like nitride

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

56rc to 58rc if you bake at 750 degrees. Big chance of warping the reciver and discolors the nickel BAD. Now hard chrome 70 plus rc.

Bruce

8. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

JMO--I would call Kentucky Gun Works and have it Ceracoated in stainless satin. Some thing over 150.00 i think. Joe joe90t

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Does anyone know approx. how much it is to Nitrate a rec. and iron, and who does it? Mike.

10. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I have had Robar do a couple pieces for me, if you don't want to worry about the finish forever try them. Thier are a lot of other options out thier also.

CM

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What ever Tony DeSimone has done. Mines nearly five years old on two guns and still looks new. Great rust preventative too.

Somebody here should know who Tony uses but Tony did a fabulous job preparing the metal on my MX8 and MX15 and that's a big part of any plating preparation. I had him do the forend irons and the triggers too. No more worries about rust where the gun gets handled.

Highly recommended. Good luck.

12. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I had wrights gunsmithing do a lujtic for me about 15 years ago and it still looks great.

13. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Chrome is for car bumper's and HQ MP helmets.

Nickel is for pimps.

Nitrate is the answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.