1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nickel finishing a receiver

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AAtrap12ga, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAtrap12ga

AAtrap12ga Member

I have a Perazzi MX2000 with a coin finish that needs to be redone. I’m considering having the receiver, fore end iron and trigger guard refinished in nickel. Looking for what other peoples experience has been doing this. Who are the best at this process? Considering having it done by Giacomo.

Thanks,

Steve Szczechura

Pelham, NH

2. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had Giacamo do mine and it came out very nice. Just had the trigger guard and trigger blade done in nickel. Receiver was already done at factory. Roy

3. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I had my 20 gauge receiver done by Giacomo as well. It has a nice shine to it compared to the factory dull nickel finish.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

We talk about this in the other thread not long ago.

Here's what I had done before: Doug B. did this great job.
    stevew_2008_030365.jpg

And Cerakote by Kentucky Gun Coating did this:
    stevew_2008_030366.jpg
    $175 whole gun in two tone Cerakote. Barrel is black color as the hinge pin.

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

K model 32 before and after.

barrelbulge_2008_210811.jpg

barrelbulge_2008_210821.jpg

Barrels. Did not clean them after shooting.

barrelbulge_2008_210819.jpg

6. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

$400.00? Did you have diamonds mounted also?

7. AAtrap12ga

AAtrap12ga Member

Thanks for the feedback......

Steve Szczechura

Pelham, NH

8. citadel

citadel Active Member

Remember the final product is primarily controlled by the preparation work on the metal before any surface is added. I have had a number of guns nickeled by various people and the ONLY ONE I would recommend is Doug Braker. His final product is wonderful. He is not the least expensive but he sure seems to be the very best and he is a great guy to work with.
    Doug

9. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

I went with D&B. Great people!

Bill

10. copperjohn

copperjohn Member

I had a super X1 receiver done by Doug Breaker, Outstanding!!! Excellent !!! you would not be disapointed. Guy is also the MAN when it comes to Rem 90T. Nice guy to.

11. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If your MX-2000 has gold lettering, the small gold amount of gold in each letter will need to be removed. The plating will go over the gold, but will have the appearance of being fuzzy looking.

Most of the gold pops out during the glass-beading process but , some always remain and I need to use a sharp pick to dig it out. An attempt to glass-bead it all out will end up washing out the edges of the lettering, ruinning what otherwise would have been a perfect job. If you look at the picture above, the lettering did have gold in it but needed to be removed.

My cost...yes its higher than some but, what you do not see is the time I put in prepping each and every piece prior to the plating. By hand (not machine), I remove all the dings, scratches, and left over machine marks. I also put very slight radiuses on all the sharp corners. This prevent a flash build-up which will lead the area prone to chipping. Working flat surfaces by hand prevents the dishing out of any holes that are present, something that a wheel will do everytime.

Lastly, I know exactly how thick the plating is for tolerance issues. The plater I use, uses a high phosphorus-teflon-stain resistant nickel recipe. Between working a Kolar Arms and on my own, I'm sure I've done over 500 guns. Of all of the 500 or so, I did have one come back from a customer here on TS.com. I sent it to the plater, and they told me it was their fault, and covered it under warranty. The part had a smudge of grease that hadn't washed off during the degreasing process.

Doug

12. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Doug, That was my gun you had to redo. Was excellent when I got it. Very pleased and would recommend you for any gunwork. Someone to do excellent work and stand behind their work is hard to come by.
    Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.