1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nickel coating an 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tcouch, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcouch

tcouch Member

I have always been an 1100 fan. I keep seeing the 1100 competition's and their nickel receiver. I really like the look of them. Has anyone had their receiver refinished with a nickel coating? How did it function after?

Tim

2. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

It may not be worth it. Most 1100 receivers will develop a crack over time and use. Just a word to the wise.

Hit 'em hard,

John

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I have never seen a 1100 cracked reciever meownself. That is what the slit is for along the side, to relieve tension and prevent cracks.

Tim, ya can do what I did for a nice finish. Just have the receiver beadblasted. Gotta keep it lightly oiled to prevent rust, but it looks like dull nickel.

GneJ

4. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

The Competition model has a nickel teflon finish, it sounds like Robar NP3 but there are probably others doing it by now. Doug Braker, the Gundr on here does some great nickel he may do that also.

I've had good luck with the ceramic mix coating but it's not the same color as the competition model. With the high polish blue barrel I think the nickel teflon on the receiver really looks good.

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I have stripped bluing from the receivers on two 1100s using Birchwood Casey Bluing and Rust Remover. Then had a gunsmith polish the receivers leaving the metal "in the white". Waxed and polished the surfaces and reassembled the guns and, like said above, the contrast between the blued barrels and bare metal receivers is distinctive and good looking. Really helps if the barrels and wood are in reasonable shape. Several shooters stopped me and asked what model I had...just keep the "in the white" receiver well-protected and you can make a worn 1100 look like a new Competition. Regards, Ed

6. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

We have done dozens 1100's, 1187's, and 870's in the satin nickel. The coin color looks very elegant with blued barrel and black trigger guard. The nickel really makes the engraving and lettering pop out. This can be done for around $60.00 if you send us just the parts, receiver-trigger pins and mag tube cap. Shipping is around 10.00 to 15.00.

Bruce

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have seen one of Ed's "in the white" 1100's. It looks very nice. I plan to do the same thing to my 1100 when I return to the USA.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trapmanjohn you are putting too much powder in your reloads. HMB

9. KerryLuft

KerryLuft TS Member

I had Robar do an 1100 receiver and magazine tube with NP3. It looked great. One functioning issue -- it made the magazine tube slicker and hence made the gun cycle faster. Heavy loads became an issue -- the bolt cycled so quickly that it would slam back forward before the shell cleared the ejection port, causing a jam.

As I usually shot light 1 oz. loads through it, it wasn't a big issue, but I could never use Nitro 27s in it again.

Cleaning the gun also was a lot easier. I'd probably do it again if I still shot 1100s.

10. sts1100

sts1100 Member

Fifteen years ago I had an old 1100 receiver plated with a brushed hard chrome finish byt TA plating in Florida. It looked great,functioned without issue and was easy to clean. The receiver developed a crack after about 10 years after plating and continued to grow. Since I had other 1100s in the safe I decided the smart thing to do was to retire the plated one and use a new receiver.

11. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Here is one that was sand blasted and then 3 coats of DEFT Clear Satin Lacquer. When the clear coat starts to wear (about once a year) Strip off the lacquer and re-spray it. If you try this mask off the mag tube and fill the insides of the reciever with rags to keep out the sand, it's a bugger to get out.

Jim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 1oz

1oz Member

Here's my Dove gun It is Metal in the white after being bead blasted with clear coat . I plan on nickling this winter I dont find the clear coat durable enough to my liking.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Dirtyharry357Mag

Dirtyharry357Mag Member

Bruce has done many jobs.. go on his web site and look.. Go with the hard crome. looks great!!
    http://dandbmetalfinishing.com

14. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Here is the website for the people that did my K-32. Take a little time and look at the site lots of pictures of trap and skeet guns. Bulge.
    [​IMG]

15. copperjohn

copperjohn Member

Just received my super X1 from doug braker, had satin nickel finish,
    OUTSTANDING !!!! couldn't be more pleased. He's very personable, helpful and a Gruru on 90T's (as most of you know) I would and will use him again without question. Thanks Doug for excellent work. maybe I'll post pictures, gun is killer!!!!

Kevin

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Kev, What was the cost?

17. tcouch

tcouch Member

Does anyone have pictures of their 1100 that was nickel coated? And what company did you use.

Kevin, lets see the SX1.

Tim

18. copperjohn

copperjohn Member

Tim:
    This wee kwhen my buddy comes over he'll do pictures. Gun shoots great but the trigger is horrible!! I think it needs Wright's to do a good trigger job.

Hey guy's anyone here w/ experience w/WRIGHT"S especially trigger work {super X
    NU-line I beleive does them also. Thanks in advance for your feedback. Hey Super X Jeff you may know or have experience with this?. How's fishing?

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.