Trapshooters Forum banner

Nicer Skeet Gun

Want To Buy 
4K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  Jaxshooter 
#1 ·
Just sold my 12 ga Browning Citori. Ready to move up to something a little nicer, but not a bank breaker. Maybe something European in the $5K neighborhood. Definitely an o/u.

#25 ·
you and i, lets stand in the parking lot at the world.
its dark....

all of a sudden you hear your name called to center court.
you thought for sure you didnt win but someone left and forfeits.
your gun is in the case in your trunk.
start the clock.
you have the wrong tubes in and the trunk light is out.
now its second call.
you fumble for your hammer, ram, and right tube for the right bbl.

i'll bet i can get there faster than you! :> :>

been there....done that!

and too, i dont need a bbl weight on my 12ga bbl. all 4 are perfect.

#27 ·
If the four barrel set was as effective as a tubed over/under you'd see them in San Antonio in the winners circle instead of tubed guns. I've owned a four barrel Krieghoff set and it was a novelty for me. I'm not saying targets can't be broken with a four barrel set but the OP said he wanted to "upgrade." I assume he wants to improve his shooting and will be shooting registered targets. This, to me, would mean that he should look for a quality used over and under with 30" barrels and a Briley or Kolar sub gauge tube set.

Reasonable deals can be had on good tubed guns in the $5,000 or less range. It sounds to me like the OP has become a little mesmerized having seen some "better" guns. I can say I have been that route. Started with a Citori, then bought a Remington 3200 because it was like a Krieghoff (mechanical trigger and separated barrels), then acquired several Krieghoff variations after that. What I discovered was that after reliability, gun fit is more important than anything else. Anything after that is just ego. Unless the OP just wants the pride of owning a "better" gun I would recommend he purchase a tubed gun in the $4,000 range and use his remaining budget to ensure the stock fits him properly.

YMMV

#32 ·
Chip was without question one of the best skeet shooters that ever set foot on a skeet field. Amazing with the .410.
In his day the 4 barrel sets were the way to go. When I started shooting skeet in the mid 60s there were a lot of 26" barreled guns. Then the move to 28". The 4 barrel set was the king. The change to tube sets really caught on with the Kolar and Briley matched weight tube sets. Now 30" barrels ( and some 32") and tubes are the norm. It is hard to sell even high grade 4 barrel sets today. Most of the high grade receivers and FE irons have been refit with 30" barrels and tubes.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.