1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbies messing up ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

A couple of weeks ago I was at a registered shoot at an unnamed range in NC. What I observed was the most unsafe & gross neglience I have ever seen at any shoot ever. There were 3 new shooters, it appeared they had never ever shot any type of gun before. One banged the stuck of his gun on the pad to free a stock hull, the other was seen to be dragging the barrel on the ground when changing stations. Should you be allowed to walk off the line if you are squaded with this? Also I believe registered shoots are not for absolute know nothings.---Phil

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Poor shoot management.

Curt

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

You should not have to walk off the line but instead the scorer and shoot management should have been on this situation faster than a little piggy trying to escape from a NC BBQ shack.

Did the shoot management do anything at all?

4. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

The scorer was a young person & did nothing but shake his head, other shooters immediately decided to stand behind these new shooters to make things safe---they intended to shoot handicaps; but they never showed up, thank God---Phil

5. BBMAX

BBMAX TS Member

Hi Phil - Maybe a few EXPERIENCED shooters and the shoot management could have pulled those folks aside and give them some instruction on the rules of safety and common courtiesy. Complaining and not solving doesn't accomplish a lot. We may have lost some shooters too. Think about it.

6. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Did somebody inform shoot management of the total lack of ability in the scorer?

Young is one thing but young and dumb could allow somebody to possibly get hurt.

Other than the goof ups how were they shooting? Were they shooting well or poorly?

7. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Their total scores -3 shooters was under 15---Phil

8. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

There were plenty of shooters who saw this, one shooter got a hull knocker outer, other shooters as previously stated stood behind the shooters. I firmly believe registered shoots are no place for absoulte novices---Phil

9. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

But the question was what did YOU DO to correct the problem ? A sitution like that REQUIRES immediate ACTION not 15 sec. later after someone is hurt. It is every shooters job to correct situations like that NOT just shoot management.

10. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

To be honest Phil a total novice could show up at a registered shoot and know what to do in about 2 minutes by either watching or being told how things are done and if somebody like you notices that they are a total novice and are blindly doing things wrong it would only take less than a minute to explain to them how, why and what goes on and this could even be done while standing on the line with them in the middle of shooting, not the best way to do it but it could be done.

Or do you mean that you dont think a novice should shoot in a registered event because they are novices and should only shoot when the become more experienced and can shoot good scores?

Granted if what you described really did happen the way you say it happened they did need some quick gentle schooling and a little quick coaching after the first 25 targets were done or right there on the spot but you make it sound like there were unworthy to be on the same trap line as you ... please tell us I'm wrong in thinking that unworthy part.

11. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Mr Newbius

I suggest that you get involved. It dose not matter in the least what size the club is as a matter of fact the bigger the club the harder it is to spot situtions like that. It is BOTH members and non-members responsibiliy to KEEP IT SAFE.

12. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

NJ Bob, if it had been me standing on line with them I would have called a little squad time-out and helped them a little bit. Whether it was to remove the stuck hull or to mention to them to pick up the muzzle of there gun and to explain exactly how things are supposed to be done. After getting back to shooting I would have also kept my eye on them and after that round of 25 tried to help them with a little more information and suggestions to both improve there shooting and to help them in understanding just exactly how to do things at any range they may ever go to from that point on.

Like I mentioned above, it only takes a few minutes to explain how, why and what needs to be done.

13. stary dziat

stary dziat TS Member

My 14yr old grandson was given polite instruction about the necessity of using a shell catcher. It was pointed out that the flying empty could disturb the shooter to his right. Saving a good once fired was not the consideration but consideration for your fellow shooter was.

ted cichecki

14. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

If anything happens on the line that is a potential safety issue ANYONE, not just the squad leader should STOP the shooting and have everyone unload. Once everyone is open and unloaded then you can go to this person and explain the safety issue. If they are not receptive, then call for shoot management to rectify the problem. Waiting too long to stop only allows the accident to happen.....think about it.....it could be your legs that get shot off!!!

15. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I was on a following squad, believe it or not one of the newbies was the squad leader, their performance really hurt the scores of a good junior shooter, his concentration was shot, their score of 15 was accurate for their first 25 prior to moving to the next field---I yelled at them to keep their guns pointed down range--but others beat me to the punch by getting directly behind these shooters----Phil

16. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Excellent Mr Newbie that sounds just right...

17. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

Yup, this stuff happens. I once asked an individual to put a shell catcher on his Beretta 303. He was to the left of me. The shells were hitting my new at the time KS-5 and dinged the rib slighty. His mother, believe it or not, told me he that he didn't have to!! And I offered to get a shell catcher for a 303 that I had in my bag!!! Goes to show ya...

18. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

So, now we have too many young shooters who want to shoot registered? We should only allow the best new shooters to shoot with us OFs? I do not think so.

I also do not see media people tripping over themselves to cover registered trap shooting. And I think it is all tied together.

Agreed, it is not the best time to instruct, but there was a first time for each of us. Safety does come first, even at the expense of routine, boring, registered trap shooting. The new shooters probably did not think what they were doing was wrong. Hope chatbrat was helpful.

Perhaps we have become a bit too stuffed-up in our programed shoots and unable to cope with unexpected change. There is no rule on that.

I got squaded on a registered squad with 4 young high school shooters at the first U.S. Open. The two girls had 20 ga autos with no shell catchers. The guys had 870s. Took forever. Had their own cheering section behind, parents, coaches, etc.

So what. My KX-5 was not damaged and I found a few nice yellow empty shells in my left vest pocket. We each did our best and had fun. Smiles all around. High fives. Even laughter. I beat them all.

I hope they will be back.

19. straightaway

straightaway TS Member

Chatbrat,

I've shot at just about every club in NC that throws registered targets, I know the people that manage these clubs and to a person, none of them would condone or allow the type of behavior to continue as described.

First things first, were they made aware of the situation? (management)

Were the shooters that "stood behind them" qualified?

Yelling causes "knee jerk reaction(s). Talking politely and demonstrating proper methods goes a long way when trying to influence behavior.

Just curious though, what club was it? List the town, I can take it from there.

Have nice day! Dan

20. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Dan e mail I'll tell you the name of the club & some of the shooters that were there & may have witnessed the happenings---Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.