1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEWBIES IN THE SHOOTING SPORTS!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    most new shooters have something that us well seasoned shooters seem to have lost somewhere over the years, "DESIRE". I was talking to a few well seasoned shooters at the local club sunday and everyone of them mentioned that they just don't seem to have the same amount of desire for the sport that they once had when they just started out. when you think of it, maybe this is normal after doing the same things over a good number of years? everyone of us said that we still love the sport, enjoy being with shooting friends, and stil like the atsmosphere of a gun club. but we all agreed if we could just get back the desire we once had, our shooting would probably be better. we all said years ago we would shoot in almost all kinds of weather. now, some won't shoot if temperatures drom below 32 degrees, some won't shoot if there is a head wind etc. have we gotten smart over the years, maybe to some extent, but if we could bottle up the desire we once had, it would be great. to all the new shooters that are just starting out, make the most of it while you still have the desire to shoot in all kinds of weather. you have entered a sport that you will make friends for life. you will learn tricks of the trade that only experience will teach you. to other well seasoned shooters what is different from the time you once started shooting to the present time. what do you wish you could get back that you once had?
    good shooting,
    steve balistreri

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

As I look back over the last 50+ years I know I lost my enthusiasm for registered shooting and I wont go into why as there are several reasons. I was able to gain back that enthusiasm by finding a few small clubs that shot games in Indiana & Michigan. These clubs had memberships conisiting of really good people. Then my career took me to South Dakota where I again built relationships at a couple good small clubs. Next I moved to Colorado ( Springs) and shooting clubs seemed to suck so I quit shooting. Next came Arizona and it seemed to suck also. My next move was Washington and I again was able to find 2-3 clubs that were friendly and I built more relationships and renewed my interest in shooting. Next came Idaho, my last career stop because I retired. It took two years but I have again found clubs that I love to shoot at and love the people. The bottom line Steve is this. For me I need a club that is small emough to be friendly and leave the political BS out. I found that again here at Melba. Good people make a club, bad people with other agendas ruin them. I consider our little club a family and I think 98% of the members feel the same way. Everybody has the same agenda. to keep the club alive and functioning viably without changing the structure so much that you destroy the feelings each other have for other members and the club itself. Thus it becomes a place we look forward to going to and everyone has the same goals for the club. We are having our first youth shoot Jan 16th in an effort to promote new young shooters

3. senior smoke

cubancigar2000:
    very well put. in my area we are lucky to have some nice friendly clubs too. i have always said that the shooting fraternity is like a family. most of my friends are in the shooting sports. i have worked with people over the years that think something is wrong with you if you shoot a gun and like going to the local gun club. i have invited some of these people to come out to the club for a free round and lunch and in all cases they have refused my offer. infact, one
    female supervisor once said that she would not even get out of her car at a gun club fearing she would be shot by people walking around with guns. i told her she was safer going to a gun club than the area shoping mall. she laughed at me when i said that.
    steve

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

After shooting in competiton and watching sandbaggers play I lost interest in shooting. I regained my desire to shoot when I started back and just shoot practice with friends at the club

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Must agree with Cubancigar,, just about the same # of yrs. also.. Being from the upper midwest (Iowa) i shot at several small clubs in Ia. & Ill. & was on BOD in 2 of those clubs. moved to Ga. & found a nice club here also, a little larger than I'm used to & a little more clique-e & political. but things are different no matter where you go, as stated by CC, all in all i still enjoy myself & i guess that is the main thing. Hope everyone else is as fortunate as I am. Ross Puls

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have always said that if you go to a gun club just to shoot or just to win you are missing out on the best part. The friendships are priceless.

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I have seen alot of new shooters over the last 40 years . Some still shoot and some don,t and some really did,t last long .

Have seen people jump in over there head buying guns loaders and stuff . The same person shoots every squad on game night and a different gun every week .
    Then one day that person is gone and never seen again .

I see a big Difference in Enthusiasm and Desire . Enthusiasm can and will fade but Desire is the real love of and for the sport and only grows . We all grow older and we do slow down but most never stop . That is why you see old men that can,t walk can,t stand and can,t see still having a good time shooting Trap . The Enthusirasm is long gone but the DESIRE is still strong .

8. senior smoke

alf99- you make alot sense.
    steve

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Pretty much what ALF-99 said. I really don't know how long I have been shooting at the local club now. I have seen so many people come and go. Some come in with all the enthusiasm in the world, buy everything possible, spend thousands, shoot several hundred rounds a week, then are gone never to be seen again. I suspect they do the same thing with other interests as well. Then there are the old dedicated shooters that have died. I miss seeing them. They were old men when I started shooting. Then there are those that come and go. You see them from time to time but not with any regularity. Some have moved to another part of the country where they might or might not continue shooting. I have been shooting almost every week for years now. I never got carried away to the point of burnout. Never could afford to. I shoot cheap auto guns neither one of which cost me more than 500 dollars. Never shot registered trap. My club never held registered shoots. I have enjoyed shooting in skeet and trap leagues at my club both of which I enjoy. I also belong to a sporting clays facility. No leagues and I usually shoot alone. No friendships there. I have developed some friendships in the frequent sporting clays tournaments I shoot. I will be shooting one every weekend this month. Trap was the first shooting sport I shot with rules and automatic throwers. Before that all I had done was going to a field with a portable trap with friends. It was magic for me. I can't really explain how excited I was the first few times. I would get butterflies in my stomach each time it was my turn to shoot. I think it was love. But love can't stay that intense. I still get nervous right before a sporting clays tournament. I still get nervous in skeet leauges when I step up to shoot. I shoot my best scores when I feel those nerves. I do have a strong competitive side I never knew was there. I love it when I win high over all in a league or when I win my class in a tournament. I love the harder targets you only get in competition in sporting clays, not the easy stuff they set up for normal shooters. I like a target that takes me a few shots to learn the lead on. Still after countless thousands of rounds of watching clay targets break in skeet or trap or sporting clays I still love it. I never bore with it. With the boom of the gun and the bursting target it is like watching fireworks. I am still a little surprised each time the target breaks.

10. senior smoke

highflyer- i would not change a thing if i were you. you seem to have your head on straight. a friend of mine was owner of one of the local area gun clubs here in the milwaukee area. years ago he said the average shooter stayed in this sport for an average of 7 years. obviously there are the old die hards like myself who have been in this sport for 40 years. this sport became my life, when i was at work all i did was thinking of shooting. it can be very addictive. i keep receipts on everything associated with shooting and recently i surpassed the $300,000.00 mark. i could have spent it on women or in bars, but i just love this sport. keep on what your doing, sounds good to me.
    steve

11. hopper810

hopper810 Member

I'm not sure how to classify myself. i used to shoot a lot of skeet back in the 70's(for fun no registered)and haven't shot anything since then,didn't even have a shotgun. about a year ago i got interested in seeing what sporting clays was about.
    i have always maintained an interest in shooting,but life came along and shooting was put way down the list.
    i picked up an older Beretta 686 in 12ga. got all my saftey eq. and all the rest of the goodies needed for clay shooting.
    i don't really have the time or extra play money to go shooting that often,but when i can i have so much FUN!!! i shot in my first 2 S/C tourneys late last year and had a great time.
    i hooked up online with a M class shooter and we met at my first tourney. and he was kind enough to let me ride with him and answered all my questions and helped me with the in's and out's of S/C shooting.
    sure it would be nice to shoot more,so i cherish my time on the range a lot.to me it's all about refinding? something i used to enjoy so much way back when.i may never get out of D class don't really care,made some great friends and looking forward to the next time i make it to the range.
    sorry for my ramble,and for me keep it fun and the rest will take care of itself.

12. senior smoke

hopper810:
    when i shoot tournaments i am so intense about trying to win that i forget about having fun. when i started out i was a league shooter, than i went to tournament shooting. at this stag of my life things are starting to slow down and i plan to get back into league shooting. i enjoyed your response.
    steve

13. hopper810

hopper810 Member

When ever i step in the cage the competition level hits the red line and when finished with that station the switch goes off until my time again. sure i want to break them all,but when i miss OK lets do this some more. what could be more fun than shooting a shotgun and breaking some clays.
    take care all and my hats off to those of you who can keep the concentration going for the whole round.

14. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I always enjoy the tournaments no matter which class I was in. My main competition was always with myself. I look at every tournament as a learning experience with the fun of new targets and new target setters. You always learn more about your shooting in a tournament than you do in a round just for fun. You can watch your improvement with your own scores and against opponents. I never regreted shooting in any tournament. I had several good shooters tell me, no matter which of the shotgun sports, that the ride up is the most fun. I am almost to AA now but enjoyed D class just as much. I hope the fun will still be there when I get to master class.

15. senior smoke

after reading some of your post i have forgotten how much fun i use to have. i am on the down side of shooting but still love the sport. when you start getting older and you can no longer do the things you use to do, it can be tough. i still play the lewis class. like the old saying, "better lucky than good". i use to shoot with a squad that had 2 hillbillies on it, a father and son, a ham n egger which is myself, and a multi millioner and his grandson. the millioner had unopened perazzi combo sets stacked up 4 feet high in his game room, money was never a problem. if he hit a $5.00 lewis class he was tickled pink. he'd go roughly a month after that lewis class win before we'd hear that he was thinking of quiting. we did not want him to quit for two reasons, we liked him, and he treated us to go out and eat like henry the vlll after shooting. he loved to eat, as his weight was 450lbs. so my friend luther and I would put $5.00 each in an envelope and tell him he hit the lewis again. he would have a smile on his face all day long. he died last year, i miss for alot of reasons.
    steve

16. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Desire is just one good score away. Get that score and you are enthusiastic about the next shoot. How do you get that one good score? Practice the single discipline you want that score to be in. If it is singles, practice singles. If it is handicap then get 2-300 targets in a week from your yardage prior to the weekend event/shoot. On the other hand if you dabble with a couple singles rounds during the week and maybe a just for fun handicap, you train your brain to know too many differing targets.

Thanks Aaron H.

17. hopper810

hopper810 Member

i can relate Senior Smoke. at my first tourney i won 8.00. i was never so proud of a check. i even framed it and the letter my club sent with it thanking me for shooting at their club. i still smile every time at look at it hanging on the wall.

18. senior smoke

hopper810:
    in my gun room, i have the first trophy i ever won along with a picture of me holding it the day i won it. it was at the boxhorn gun club in 1973, i shot a 47 out of 50 in the club championship shoot. that score took runnerup in class E. everytime i look at it, it brings alot of good memories. the guy who beat me had a 49. at the time i could not believe a class E shooter could possibly shoot a 49 out of 50, thought he was sandbagging. over the years i realized every dog has his day. talking about every dog has his day, i was a terrible doubles shooter. one day my friend luther and i decide to shoot doubles and the wis state champion is on our squad. it was windy and raining, state champion shoots a 94, luther a 96, and i miss my last target for a 96 to tie for high score. luther gets off the squad and says to me, "don't think your good" i said i don't, he said that was just a fluke. next day, the state champion breaks a 98 in doubles, luther a 94, and i rose to the ocassion with a 82.
    steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.