1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by k810329, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k810329

k810329 Member

im completely new to trapshooting.my 17 year old son started shooting this past spring and has absolutely loved it.he's been trying to get me to shoot but since im blind in my right eye i opted not to till this past weekend.to my surprise i hit more than i expected 52/100 and i had a blast doing it.now i cant wait to get back and shoot again.any tips or advice for a newbie?any advice for a one eyed shooter?
    james

2. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Are you right or left handed?

3. k810329

k810329 Member

luckily left handed

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do you have a shotgun that is set up for a left handed shooter? HMB

5. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

welcome to the sp[ort have fun and enjoy.

6. k810329

k810329 Member

no i used an old right handed mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel that my son uses for turkey hunting

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

See if you can find someone who can set you up with a gun that has a stock fitted for a lefty. You will break a lot more birds and have a lot more fun with a gun setup for a left hand trap shooter. HMB

8. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

first off have fun and enjoy doing it with your boy!!!!!!! and welcome to the sport you will be able to get all the help you want all help is good but do it at your pace and what you can afford.

Jerry

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto what Jerry sez but be aware when you ask for advice here you may run into some grumps that just have to make fun or complain that X question has been answered a million times already. Try as many guns as you can get permission to handle and maybe even shoot. If you do this enough, you'll eventually come up with the one you'd like to buy or seek a similar model. Most advisors will try to point you to an economical single barrel guns like the Browning BT99 series but I like to point newbies at auto loaders or over/unders for a first gun since they are capable of shooting two shells. This will permit you to both get started and later tempt you to try doubles, skeet, 5 stand, sporting clays and all other games where two shots are needed or permitted. Don't rush the purchase of a new gun, take the time to test as many as possible. Try to find a helpful advisor at your club to get yourself started in all aspects of the game(s). Reloading will save you cash in the long run but don't invest too much in guns and reloaders until you're sure you want to make this a long time, and expensive, hobby. Ask away........Bob Dodd

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Bob Dodd gives good advice. If and when you decide to purchase a gun; look for a used one. They depreciate like anything else. There are a "ton" of good quality used guns out there. If you can find an autoloader or an over/under with choke tubes you can shoot all the games. Good luck. It is a great sport and you are lucky to have your son as a shooting partner. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.