1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

newbie ??-what is "Lever right of center" about

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I know that the lever position indicates wear.

What is getting worn out?

How does it happen?

Is it serious, like a headspace problem or just a generalized indication of wear, like brake pedal wear?

Can it be fixed?

thanks

Lou

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

newbie ??-what is

This applies to most shotguns.

The barrel is holding into/onto the receiver by the locking bolt connected to the top lever, the position of the top lever is an indicator of how far the locking bolt is wearing into the locking lug (s).

When the top lever pass the center position to the left, the locking bolt is close to it's end of travel (life).

Until the barrel starts to wiggle (even very little) after action closed, it's still safe to shoot the gun.

Some designs will let you change the locking bolt to a bigger (thicker) size to compensate it's wear, some you'll have to rebuild the lug (s) up to bring back it's tightness.

3. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

What causes the wear
    Can it be prevented?

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

newbie ??-what is

Opening and closing the gun, firing, etc. Giacomo recommends: holding the top lever with your finger, close gun, let the top lever go. Do this instead of slamming the gun shut. This will help the life of your top lever.

Matt

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

newbie ??-what is

Lou, The pad came, It is great. Thanks, will get a check out to you. Bill

6. Steve W

newbie ??-what is

That's a controversial theory. You're running the risk of bolt not fully engaged (forward) to the locking lugs if you hold it while closing, that'll certainly cause more wear.

I put oil on my locking bolt and locking lugs to make sure they snap/slide fully engaged when I close the gun.

Your car door locks are much more expensive to replace, do you hold it while closing your doors?

The bolt is made to wear, like your brake pads. Better design will let one to replace worn parts easier.

7. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

newbie ??-what is

So what is involved in replacing a locking bolt on say a Browning Broadway? How difficult and how much $.

LA

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

newbie ??-what is

My 90T came nib with the lever at center, it is still so tight it's hard to open. After about 7,000 rounds it's still center. Why is this?

9. Steve W

newbie ??-what is

To the first question,

I went the other route, we weld up the locking lugs to meet the bolt.

Because the locking bolt is harder than the barrel lugs, it wears down the lugs (in Browning case, one lug), that's why you'll need a thicker bolt to meet the worn lugs.

By weld up/rebuilt the lugs, we bring the lugs back to original size to meet the original bolt.

Another reason for this is because a new Perazzi bolt is more expensive than rebuilding the two lugs by my guys, and the bolt is not always available in the right size.

This can be done with any qualified gunsmith on any shotguns without finding and stocking different brands and sizes of locking bolts.

Second question's answer: 7000 rounds will not wear down any halfway decent shotgun, I don't know about 90T, but it'll take over 50,000 rounds to move a Perazzi top lever, and usually the wear was caused by keeping the bolt dry.

10. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

newbie ??-what is

And a Cole has the top lever in the center and that is normal.

I just close my P gun, as I was told that was better because it locked it up tighter.

I had my top lever replaced when I bought my gun and it was nearly same as it was before except it took a little while to break it in and stop sticking.Ray

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

newbie ??-what is

I have a Citori Plus that is left of center and may have always been that way, I don't remember. But, If I wanted to have it "repaired" who does it and how much are we generally talking abot cost wise?

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

newbie ??-what is

Dave,

Rebulding a locking bolt is about $125...at least, that is what I charge. This also includes a complete clean & oil. If you what new springs installed at the same time, the only additional cost is the price of the springs.

Shannon391,

Your top lever shouldn't have been in the center. Because I did most of the patterning and final inspections, I'm sure I would have caught that. You're saying the top lever is sticky....there was a locking bolt angle change during production from 10 degrees to 8 degrees. I could be possible the 8 degree angle could be slightly less. This definitely would cause a sticky top lever. Is your serial number above ST02700? That was about the time the change was made.

Doug Braker

13. Steve W

newbie ??-what is

H Daddy, I respect that. As I said, "you're running the risk of..." not definitely bond to happen.

I say this because I noticed on some of my guns, if I hold the lever while closing, the top lever stopped more to the right than I let it close by it self, this shows it's not fully engaged.

I close my guns like most of us, including Miss K. Rhode with her over a million rounds MX-12, not holding the lever. Never had a problem with the top lever moving toward center within 50,000 rounds, her gun was first rebuild by Perazzi USA after 200,000 rounds. I don't have too much experience with every other makers, but I was quite lucky with the guns I have.

As you mentioned, our friend PBB Mike always said: All Good.

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

newbie ??-what is

Doug: When you do this do you need the entire shotgun?

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

newbie ??-what is

Yes, I would need the complete gun.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotgun sticky lever