1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

newbie stock fitting question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by arkyjim, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arkyjim

arkyjim TS Member

I am new to sport just got into trap because of my son. My question is, in the Memphis TN area is there someone to fit a stock. With my son starting out I would like to have him fitted so at least he is starting out correctly. He is currently shooting a Beretta A400 but I am looking for a good over/under.
    Am I starting in the right direction? I need input from the more experienced. Thanks for any advice.
    Jimmy

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Jimmy,

Yes, in my opinion you are starting out exactly right. Your son will shoot better and improve more quickly as he practices if he uses the correct gun mount, stance, and body posture (shooting form). That way he does not have any bad habits that have to be broken when he shoots a gun that fits him.

I do not know of any good stock fitters near Manphis but that doesn't mean there are none. Possibly someone else knows of one. The good ones not only consider the stock dimensions and your son's individual physical characteristics but will also teach him the correct shooting form. They would then change any stock dimensions that prevent the use of a good form.

Rollin

3. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Jimmy,

If I may let me try and help here. For the time being just use the stock that is currently on the gun and modify that to fit as good as can be done to make the gun pattern and shoot straight. Do not even consider a new or custom stock until your son stops growing. Having good form and consistant mounts with the current gun will be key. If your son continues to what to shoot after he is about 19 then it will be time to look at custom stocks. I remember when I started shooting girls and work became a big factor and I left the sport for 15 years but I am now back and have been for 21 years now. Get all the adjustments that you can, get it fitted to your son and just keep adjusting as he grows. Not only will height change but his bone and muscle structure will change as well. So enjoy the time you spend together and I wish you and your son well. If you need any other questions just call me at the shop and I will try and guide you any way I can.

Dennis DeVault 330-456-6070

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.