1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie Recipe Questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ScottEslick, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

I have searched and read a ton of threads on reipes for reloading and I am more confused than ever. I will be using Remington hulls so that is the only thing that is etched in stone, I have never shot 1 oz loads but very open to the idea, how far back can they effectivly be used? Any good suggestions on information or recommended recipes would be greatly appreciated!! I know all the powder manufactures have info but...what to use???

Thanks, Newbie Scott

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I would stay away from the slower burning powders for 1 ounce loads. Red dot, clays, 700X would all suit you pretty good along with some others. Lots of folks use 1 ounce for shorter handicap loads even. I use 700X and 1 0unce of 8 1/2's for 16's and doubles.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, never use a load that is recommended to you unless you confirm the load in a good reloading manual. The Alliant manual is on line or you can get a free copy at many stores that sell supplies.

I would select a wad, or a clone of a wad, that is designed for the specific hull you are using. I like to use a primer made by the manufacturer of the hull, but many indicate this is not necessary. It probably isn't but it is what I do.

Load some shells and have fun.

Pat Ireland

4. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Hi Scott,

I've been reloading just since last December so I can relate to your question.

There are a lot of choices out there, a lot of decisions to make just to get started. Trust me, no matter what you decide on to start with you WILL change your mind shortly afterwards. So first thing is, do NOT commit yourself to large amounts of anything except hulls and boxes. (Nobody ever told me to save the d**m boxes so I had nothing to put my new reloads in. Embarrassing...)

Next, what do you want out of your loads? 1 ounce is great for singles and it's a much softer round to fire than 1-1/8 loads.

Wads, at least to me, don't seem to make all that much difference. I have stuck with Windjammer primarily because of cost. I've tried 12S3's and they load nice, they are a little longer than Windjammers but that's the only difference I have noticed. I have tried TGT12's for 1oz loads and that's what I would use if I went back to 1oz.

Primers do have physical differences that you need to be aware of. I stick with Winchester or Remington 209's. I've tried CCI primers but they don't seem to want to seat completely flush for me. I am sure an adjustment could be made but I didn't go to the trouble. I chose to stick with my first choices instead. There are a lot of folks who swear by Cheddites and Noble. Careful with the "European" primers, these can be a little larger diameter and you won't be able to use an American primer in your hull again if you choose to go that route. The "hotness" of primers is a good debate topic but again, I haven't noticed any real difference when I pull the trigger.

Powders are probably the area you'll want to pay the most attention. There is a lot of data published about each of them out there and if you get it from the manufacturer it is trustworthy. Do NOT hesitate to send an email to the manufacturer either if you have ANY kind of a question. They take these emails seriously and answer promptly and are not afraid to say "NO! Don't do that!" Mix what you hear from others with a little scepticism, or as Ronnie said, "Trust, but verify".

Last of the advice is to get a scale. I can not stress that enough. Get a scale. Digital, analog, balance, expensive, cheap, I don't care, just get a scale and measure your powder at LEAST once each time you sit down to load and whenever you refill the powder bottle or open a new canister.

And if you want a starting point, here's the recipes I am currently using:

Remington Gun Club or STS hulls
    1 oz 7.5 shot, clone TGT12 wad, 16.5 grains IMR 700X, Win 209

1-1/8 oz 7.5 shot, Windjammer wad, 17.5 grains IMR 700X, Win 209
    1-1/8 oz 7.5 shot, Windjammer wad, 17.5 grains IMR 700X, Rem 209
    1-1/8 oz 7.5 shot, Windjammer wad, 20.5 grains Alliant American Select, Win 209
    1-1/8 oz 7.5 shot, Windjammer wad, 20.5 grains Alliant American Select, Rem 209

Hope this helps a little...

Greg

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I would have to agree with Pat. But, there is alot of reloaders on here that wouldn't steer you in the wrong direction with their load opinions including myself. You clearly know what you want to do or trying to achieve. Just get the Alliant book and search it out. I would try to built it around components you like or have been satisfied with. If the wad is your hang up, get guys to give you a sample of what they use. The Mfg's may even send you a small sample. Make some up and put them on paper, than try some at targets.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Good advice from Pat.

Make sure you get a good scale, and use it!! Measure your powder to make sure your bushing is throwing what you think its throwing.

Here's a load I like, that is in Hodgdon's data:

* Remington Hull (STS, Gun Club, or Nitro 27 will work) <br>
    * Winchester 209 Primer (a Nobelsport 209 primer can be safely substituted) <br>
    * Downrange XL-1 neon green wad (you can substitute a Winchester WAA12SL pink wad or a Green Duster wad as well) <br>
    * 17.0 grains of Hodgdon Clays powder <br>
    * 1 ounce of 8-1/2's or 8's works great.

Trust me, this load works. !!!BUT!!! check the powder manufacturer's data to make sure this is a safe load before YOU choose to use it!

Great singles load.

7. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

Looking at the Alliant site, still not sure what powder to use, but looking at Red Dot in a Remington hull with Rem 209p primer, 1 oz load, Claybuster CB1100-12, I can get 1150, 1200, 1250 and 1310 fps and 7400, 8000, 8800 and 9400 psi. I will be shooting from the 20 when I start. Is it all trial and error? What is a good starting point? Thanks again for all your help!!

8. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

18.0 clays, greenduster wad, win 209 POOF been using that for over 10years

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Scott, I`m not a professional in the reloading but I have been doing it for 25 years and I am out to save money also and not bust my cheek or shoulder so what I`ve come up with these last 2 years in Remington hulls, both RGC`s and STS`s are the Claybusters 110012 wads also, Cheddite 209`s, 1oz of 8`s with 15gr of 700X loaded on a 366 with a 408 bushing. Saves money and smokes targets. I was loading with a 414 bushing with 15.6gr but the 408 is much softer. When you go with 7.5 shot, you are giving yourself less pellets so I always stick with 8`s. As stated before, everyone has their pet loads and this is mine. Good luck with your choice.

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I would safely reload for the 1250 fps. Use good components. Try to get the highest speed with the least amount of pressure. 9500 PSI is nothing excessive. Put some on paper. Pattern some 7 1/2's and 8's. Go break some targets. Wheather you take advise from someone here or just pick something out of the manual that looks good is the same thing. It's a start. If you pick something out that looks good and you look good on paper and you break targets you'll probably just stick with it. It makes things simple. Powder, wads, primers I guess it all does make a big difference but, your choke tube is equally as important.

11. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Scott; I shoot 1 0z loads. I shoot 21.5 yards and I have shot a 98,2-97's and several in the mid 90's.I use several powders and load them with a speed around 1235 fps.Promo and Claydot will give you more bang for your buck.700X works great but I prefer 19.5 grs of Green Dot or WST in a 1 oz load.I am shooting 7/8 oz for the first shot in doubles and for singles with 14.5 grs of AA-lite.As long as you do your part these loads will do thiers!!Good luck PJ

12. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

My sage advice is 1) you are starting out with the absolute right hull and 2) find a load/recipe you like and shoot it.

I was skeptical of 1 oz, and love them now. I use 700X with Win primer (yup, in a Remington STS or Nitro hull) with DR XL1 wad. I suspect that load would work anyplace on the numbers back to and including the 27. I have the privilege of shooting at Ron Alcoriza's home club, and he can crush them all from the 27 with light 1 oz 8's. He never changes.

While I use 700X, I have used Clays and it is great powder. I have Green Dot, which is great for heavier loads, but would not suggest it for 1 oz unless you want it very fast. I have E3 on order as it is said to be very clean and takes a small charge to achieve high 1100 fps loads.

Find the one you like and then just stick with it. You have the right hull, so once you dial in your preference, you are good to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.