1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie Q: Arc or Intersect?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Should I be swinging the barrel in a straight line that will intersect and cross the path of the bird or should I try to swing in an arc so that the barrel will be tracking the bird when I pull the trigger?

For all you mathematicians out there the "arc" would actually be an "asymptope"

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

You want to move your barrel as little as possible, so do not swing in an arc, as you describe it.

AndyH ;-)

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Frank Little taught to follow the line of the target.

intersecting, while it looks cool, results in more misses because the margin of error is a lot less.

You hold your gun in the area the target comes out, and follow the flight line, moving to the correct lead in the last half second or less.

That way if the target makes an unexpected move, you can still kill it.

HM

4. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

HM makes more sense to me.

More like merging into traffic and less like an outfielder timing his run to intersect the path of the line drive.

Lou

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Paralysis by analysis comes to mind. Try not to let your mind wander into this kind of thought process while shooting. See the target, kill the target. Look for the target to emerge from the house and keep your eye on it ... the gun will follow.

6. Seitz373

Seitz373 Member

TS.com advice is always great....

As far as I know, the top shooters track the targets and use 'sustained lead.' Line shooting the target will lead to stopping the gun and a lot of misses on quarter angles. Kay Ohye, Harlan Campbell, and Chris Vendel are some top shooters that I know for sure teach to track it.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Don't overthink

See the target

Move to the target

Shoot the target

Follow through

8. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Newbie Q... this is a good question that a lot of new shooters are afraid to ask, or don't think to ask.

I'm not a new shooter, but I sure shoot like one...

...I ask a lot of questions of great shooters (those that will talk to me anyway) and this one is a no brainer. You want to track the bird. Soft focus to detect the bird out of the house, hard focus to the front edge of the target for angles and bottom edge for straight aways, quick move to the target, track, squeeze.

You don't think about doing this... you train yourself in practice by being very deliberate and your mind "remembers". This will become automatic once you lock your brain into shooting mode.

Intercepting the target is bad, bad, bad... tracking is good good good.

Walker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.