1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie Intro - Greetings from Germany

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by erock_germany, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erock_germany

erock_germany Member

Hi Folks,

I am new around here and wanted to introduce myself. I am an American expat living in Germany and have recently gotten back into shooting over here and have gone through the tedious process of getting a shotgun license.

I am originally from Upstate NY and live in the Cologne area

I shoot mostly Bunker Trap (Olympic) but also shoot International Skeet and Sporting Clays on occasion to have a change of pace.

I grew up shooting ATA and American Skeet and after living over here for 17 years now I just could not live without the clay target sports any longer.

I am fortunate to have a great club about 40 miles away - this is not a given here as shooting clay targets is not very wide spread in Germany. Shooting is - the German Shooting Federation has over 1 MILLION members (population here is 90 million round about) but less than 1% of them are clay target shooters - about 9000.

Lots of interesting stuff here so I will see y'all around....

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

welcome!

ok so what do the other 99% shoot then?

3. erock_germany

erock_germany Member

The other 99% shoot various other olympic disciplines and displines in the German Shooting Federation - everything from pistol and long guns, .22 LR to large caliber pistols etc.

Also, air guns (I mean real match type air guns not BB guns) are real big and easier to own...

Getting the shotgun permit took over 1 year of proving I have a "need" to shoot, several tests, background checks (they even check NCIC in the US through Interpol) etc. Guess I am a model citizen since they gave me the permit now....

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Take the time and get your international hunting license- they like to invite Americans to hunt

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Wie gehts erock?

Ich bin ein Südafrikanisches!

Sort of.

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Lucky you. Nice part of the country and not to far from Holland. We lived in Norvenich for three years. Took numerous trips to Koln, usually by train. Maybe a 30 minute drive by car. No internet back then, we picked up english language TV by turning are antenna towards Holland. Worked well with a booster.

Don't know if its changed, but Holland stations broadcast all shows in their original language with dutch subtitles. This was to encourage the learning of other languages. A French show would be in French and so on...

Did not do any clay target shooting, but we did shoot pistol. We were very impressed with the facilities. They don't do anything halfway!

If you get to shoot bunker at the MÜLLER SCHIESS ZENTRUM ULM Range (Indoors) it would be interesting to see your comments on shooting clay targets indoors.

7. erock_germany

erock_germany Member

Yes, the Dutch still speak English better because all the TV is in English. TV has gone digital here and because of BS broadcast rights, we do not get the Dutch TV anymore....no biggie - we have satellite now.

The indoor pistol and rifle ranges here are amazing.

I have not been to Ulm at the indoor range yet. I hear it is just amazing and will go soon.

I was in Ulm lat week though picking out the wook and getting the length measured for my new K 80...

8. caddo

caddo TS Member

Welcome erock. I am new here too, just signed on today. Got the forum address from a friend who saw a thread asking for help on the Browning Double Auto. (neat shotgun). Works really great for a left hander since it is loaded fron the left side. F.Amerson

9. erock_germany

erock_germany Member

Well, I got a request in a PM to show some pictures of the club I shoot at. We have 2 Bunkers - one a combo skeet/bunker and where we also shoot 5 stand...

This is bunker 1:

Field_1.jpg

These are the stations on bunker 1

Field_1B.jpg

This is bunker 2 (skeet low house on left)

Field_2A.jpg

Bunker 2

Field_2C.jpg

Bunker 2

Field_2B.jpg

And one of the nice old manual scoreboards....

Score.jpg

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Cool pics and welcome.

Matt

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

ohhhh that looks nice....i wish there was a bunker trap club anywhere near me. would love to try it.

12. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Isn't Germany the country that put that indoor trap range up? I know there was a video floating around that showed people shooting inside it.

Anyway, that looked like the place to be!

And welcome to the forum by the way.

Kevin

13. erock_germany

erock_germany Member

Yep, mentioned it earlier in the thread. Looks cool. We are planning a trip in February and I will post some pics and let you know howvit was.

From what I see, it looks OK but am not sure of the real hard left an right angles in Bunker Trap by th width of the thing. We shall see...

14. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

How about that monster cathedral in Ulm ?(assume you have seen it).

Toured Germany in 1969. The Germans had their act together even then.

Would love to see it again after 40yrs.

Regards.....Gerald

15. erock_germany

erock_germany Member

Yes, the Cathedral is still there of course and it is huge.

My trip this time though was purely shotgun related...

The next trip there is to the indoor Bunker...

16. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Here, go play...

http://www.hps-guns.de/

Great gun shop - focused on pistols, but...

17. crusha

crusha TS Member

What a nice range. And even a sun-shade, sheesh...

18. ramen39

ramen39 Member

When I was there in 1958 we had A company located in Ulm. They said the steeple on that cathedral was the tallest in the world at that time. It is huge. Our unit used to put pontoon bridges across the Danube.
    24th engineers, 4th armored division.

Roy

19. ONClaybuster

ONClaybuster TS Member

Welcome here erock. I'm pretty new here myself.I was born and grew up in Duisburg. I was in Koeln quite often as a youngster. That was before I was interested in shotguns. Really nice set up you have there. In 1957 I immigrated to Canada and live here ever since. I have been back to the old country a few times but never went to Ulm. Maybe next time.

Frohe Weihnachten,

Herb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.