1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie here....howdy.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

Happy to find this place. Been a long journey over the years to find myself here.

My dad got me started in trap when I was 10 years old....bought me a used 16ga. Mossberg bolt action. Living in NYC relegated us to shooting at the small trap setup at the VFW in the sticks of southern NJ across from my uncle's house when we visited there on weekends. I'd do okay for a little kid. In '62 he bought the 'new' Mossberg 500 pump with interchangeable barrels and then we discovered the Remington Range at Lordship Connecticut. Beautiful place shooting out over Long Island Sound. There I was able to use the soon to be released 1100 - they were lending them out to run rounds thru them for test purposes. Great gun. I'd often use dad's 500 and soon kicked his butt with it. ha! In '67 he bought a new Breda 12 o/u..most beautiful I'd seen up to that date. Engraved with tolerances so tight... The 500 became mine. He had a serious heart attack shortly after that and shooting was curtailed for us. He died in '69 of a second heart attack at 41 yrs. old. I continued trap/skeet until the mid-70's using the 500 solely. Felt like 'home' to me, that old pump. After that, the guns remained in their cases and occassionally cleaned/oiled. The Breda is still in 'showroom' condition.

Anyhow, I've recently gotten back into target shooting (Rem. 700P, Millett scope) at the Brookhaven range in Ridge, here on Long Island, NY. The skeet/trap ranges are set apart and wandered over there a couple of weeks ago. Talk about a head trip. Got home, cleaned/packed the 700 and pulled out the old shotguns. Back out with the 500 and managed to break some birds after all these years. Welcome 'home' it feels like. Count me in! Excited to be back in the sport.

Today I picked up my new BT-99, (32" and adjust. comb). Saw one at the range and loved the wide forearm and simplicity of the piece. Having new Rx shooting glasses made and.....Saturday morning can't come quick enough.

BTW: Retired 16 yrs. ago from the police department after 23 years service and currently a registered nurse in cardiac/open heart surgery ICU.

Have questions regarding the old Breda but will post to a different thread with that. Just wanted to introduce myself.

Thanks, all
    Bill

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Welcome back

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WMyC9dKjkrI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WMyC9dKjkrI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

HM

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Welcome aboard!

Quack!

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Welcome back Bill!

ec90t

5. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Greetings from Nebraska Billster. I've still got the BT-99 I purchased new in 1975 and still get it out cause it just feels good. Glad you're online. Most of the people here do respect what others ask and inquire about. There are a few who......well, you know since you've worked with people for years. Good shooting.

6. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Greetings from Nebraska Billster. I've still got the BT-99 I purchased new in 1975 and still get it out cause it just feels good. Glad you're online. Most of the people here do respect what others ask and inquire about. There are a few who......well, you know since you've worked with people for years. Good shooting.

7. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Billster, For many years I lived in Center Moriches and moved to Delaware 10 years ago. I shot at that range and the indoor range in Yapank all the time. Looking back, I was happy then, I only shot rifles and pistols. I got sucked into the bowling pin shooting for a while, but overall I was happy. I started shooting shotguns after I moved here - I made a few mistakes and one of them was joining the ATA. It is not too late for you, you can still save yourself and it is only going to cost the price of a BT. It is a good gun so you can get most of your money out and you will only be down a few hundred bucks.

8. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Bill glad you found this site you will make a lot of new friends and im sure you will meet some of them if you get out to the different club's it looks like you are an example of the youth shooter's today because it looks like you was introduced to the sport as a kid then had do as most have to work for a living and put the shooting off until you retired.

Of course if you have been reading on here for a bit then you can see a lot of pot stirring going on but in real life I bet most of the bad eggs on here would be good to shoot with and helpful.

Dive right in and ask away there is also a search feature that has about a years worth of threads in it.

Foggy

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

welcome from Iowa- land of mellow people

regards

Gene

10. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Welcome from Missouri as well. I came back after about a 30 year layoff and have been having a blast. Best thing that I have done for myself in years. Don't let the experts get to you there or here lol. And if you have a very thin skin, now would be a good time to thicken it up.

Good luck and welcome back.

John

11. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Thanks shootlow - I will always cover your back too

12. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Welcome from Seattle! Lots of great information here. And even more entertaining opinions. :)

Great choice on the BT99...I'm sure you'll love it.

13. TC

TC TS Member

Welcome back Bill. Tony

14. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Billster,

you said you're shooting at Brookhaven range in Ridge, on Long Island, NY. I saw that Quackshot responded with a welcome but I think he overlooked that part of your comment, because I am pretty sure he used to shoot at Brookhaven when he lived there and I think 682LINY does now. (I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong)

Welcome to ts.com where it's not all trapshooting all the time. lol This weeks love fest friday will be dedicated to you!

15. Billster

Billster TS Member

Thanks all! Some great suggestions and interested in those books. Would like to respond to each of you for the warm welcome but time's short this a.m. Off to a long day at work shortly. Catch y'all over the weekend.

Cheers
    Bill

16. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Hello Billster luvnbearhugs1 was rite ,,,I do shoot at brookhaven and suffolk trap in yaphank,,,will be shooting with Kay Ohye this weekend and down at elyesberg next week,,,,any time you see a big black truck with team Beretta on the window stop over ,,,we can break a few Bill e mail drop the XXX's <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

17. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Welcome aboard Bill. I was a fellow Remington Gun Club (Lordship) alumni as well (from 1980 to closing in 1986)

18. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Howdie Bill. Welcome.

Brett D. in western NY.

19. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Bill Welcome and glad you are back shooting. A Cardiac ICU Nurse! What's the matter didn't get enough excitement in the PD over those years?! (LOL)-- My wife worked the ICU for awhile many years ago. HOPPING PLACE and plenty of excitement! I had a BT-99 once(always said I was sorry I sold it). At any rate glad you are here. Shoot well.

20. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Welcome from the left side of the map, Orygun; from another retired law man. You'll find a lot of good friends on this site and will run into some troublesome ones too. Learn to open what interests you and ignore the stuff that doesn't and you'll enjoy. There's a wealth of experience on here and, of course, a bit of my-way's-the-only-way as well. Seeya on the threads.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.