1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie Help - Which gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BAD007, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAD007

BAD007 TS Member

Hello All!
    First off, I'd like to thank everyone that participates in this forum. I've been reading the posts for a few weeks and the information and advice has been invaluable to me, so for that, thanks!

I'm new to trap and I want to get a gun. I've been looking at a Browning XT, it has a Gracoil with adjustable LOP, and an adjustable comb. I've read about the importance of having the gun fitted to me and it seems the comb and adjustable LOP are a good idea.

I've also found a used Krieghoff K-80 Combo that I really like. The Kreighoff does not have an adjustable comb or butt plate and costs 3 times as much. I'm concerned that if will be difficult to have this gun fitted as a result. I live in Salt Lake City and it seems there aren't many people that can/will fit guns (?).

So, what do you think? Better off with the better gun and the worry about getting it fitted, or the cheaper gun that can be fitted easily?

Any advice will certainly be appreciated?
    Thanks!!

Brent Daugherty

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Get the gun you like. If needed, an adjustable comb and/or buttplate can be easily installed on the K-80, or you can get a Precision Fit Stock for it.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

It depends on how much money you want to spend now. An adjustable comb can easily be added to the K-80. I would suggest that staying with a less expensive gun makes sense for a new shooter.

Pat Ireland

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Brent: Wow.. Quite a difference between an XT and a K-80!! If you like the K-80 and can afford it; I would opt for the K-80. There are numerous people on this thread who can install an adjustable comb on the K-80. However, you must like the gun. That's a big investment for a new shooter. But my feeling is, if you can buy that used K-80 at a decent price; you will not be disappointed. Just keep in mind, the gun still has to be pointed in the right direction to break the target. :) Good Luck. Ed

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The XT will do all that you will ever require and what you save on it over buying the K80, you can spend on ammo and targets. Unless you get really lucky with an off the rack stock, you will want the adjustable one.

6. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

I just bought an XT with adjustable comb. It is an excellent gun with great fit and finish. On my second round with it, I shot my first 25 at 16 yards. My previous best with my 1100 was 23. Doesn't apply directly to you of course, but my point is that its a great gun that shoots really well. And with the adjustments you mention I'm sure you could dial it in just right for yourself.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

I love the K-80 but hesitate to recommend one to a brand new shooter. I have three of them so I am prejudiced.

Have someone you trust, who knows trap guns, examine the gun if you decide to buy it. You do not want an RT (removable trigger) gun.

You should be at about $7000 for a trap combo - higher if it is in very good condition or has release triggers. I have one at $7500 with release triggers but I would not recommend it to a new shooter - release triggers are the last thing you need to screw with.

Welcome to the madness.

Don

8. BAD007

BAD007 TS Member

Thank you for all of the replies. Sounds like I've got some more research and thinking to do.

Brent

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Buy a used gun, that way you can shoot it before you buy it. Be patient and find one that is comfortable to shoot and breaks targets for you. HMB

10. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Newbie, Follow the suggestion tha HMB above has given you! Two years ago I bought an SKB 85TSS USED, after trying out several other used guns!! The SKB "fit" (and that is very important)me the best, and then I did a bit of "tweaking" myself for a better fit. I am truly an amatuer, local gun club trap shooter, but I do know that fit and comfort are very important. The SKB had about 800 rounds thru it and now has over 5000 rounds thru it. bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.