1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

newbie gun selection

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BLUEJAY, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLUEJAY

BLUEJAY TS Member

HELLO,JUST STARTED TRAP SHOOTING AND HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT A GUN. SAW`THE REM 1100 CLASSIC TRAP AT MY LOCAL GUN SHOP FOR $970 AND SAW`THE SAME GUN AT WALMART FOR $750. SINCE I WILL ONLY BE SHOOTING TRAP THIS LOOKS LIKE A GOOD INTRO GUN. THANK YOU.

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Go to a club and ask around. Some clubs have loaners/rentals and some guys will let you try their guns (just don't expect to be handed and P or K guns).

Try before you buy if you can. Buy what works for you.

If you get a semi-auto, get a shell catcher.

It is your first trap gun - you will have another in a year (I am on my third and started exactly one year ago). It is a fun journey - enjoy it.

Don

PS They all work just fine. If you buy used you will not loose very much if anything when you "upgrade". Have the gun fitted - it will be the best money you spend after lessons from a pro.

3. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

As dverna said, try a few. BT-99's are probably the best entry level gun that can last you a career. 1100's and Beretta autos are fine also. To check gun fit, mount the gun with your eyes closed and then open your eyes. If the sight picture is correct, then the gun fits. Otherwise get it fitted!!! Then go out and shoot 1000+ targets. Then find a coach and take some lessons. Local club members will give all kinds of advice and some of it may be good but a lot will conflict. PAY A GREAT SHOOTER FOR LESSONS!! It will be money well spent. Then go out and practice. Try to shoot at least 50 - 100 Singles per outing. Don't just throw lead, practice what your coach taught you. I took a clinic from Bonillas and that helped quite a bit and then about 5 years later took one from Handy and learned so much more!

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.