1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie Confusion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scottrik, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottrik

Scottrik TS Member

I am new to reloading but am trying to learn.

I feel like I am missing something important. Hoping more experienced hands can straighten me out.

I have Lymans 5th ed. Shotshell handbook. one reason I bought it is because of the full scale color cutaways of various hulls.

My confusion revolves around hull descriptions.

I have a boat-load of gray/silver (potato-patato they all look gray to me) Winchester hulls that are clearly marked "AA".
    Most of the recipes I have found for "Win. AA hulls" both in the Lymans book & on-line describe "Win. AA Hulls" as compression formed or "HS" (High Strength)

Since I am occasionally known to be hard-headed & suspicious I took a dremel tool & did my own cutaway.

These clearly marked "Win AA hulls" are obviously NOT compression formed. The Base Wad is clearly a separate component. I assume therefore that a recipe for a "CF" hull would not be suitable and so went looking for recipes for "poly-formed" hulls.

And there in lies the crux of my confusion. I can't find any recipes for "Winchester AA Poly-Formed Hulls"

So what am I missing here???

Scott McCoy
    TANSTAAFL
    (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Scott, The one you have that has the seperate wad base is the newer HS or High Strenth Hull. Lots of loads for them under the HS type. The older type is the compression formed hull. The older ones are a dull type plastic and have a boxed line around all 4 sides of AA. These are one piece type hulls and their is no break from the sides to the bottom if you look inside with the flashlight. The new shiny plastic is a dead give-away of the HS. hulls. If in dought shine a flashlight inside the hull and look for the seperate wad base. There is lots of published loads at Alliantpowder.com for their powder or Hodgdon.com for their powder. Hope this helps you out some. Break-em all. Jeff

PS. Their is no difference in red or grey hulls for reloading. Only type Compression or HS. type.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It there is a W or two on the base that stands for waste.

Get yourself a supply of STS or N27 or Gun Clubs and don't look back. Seriously you don't need to mess around with all the problems that today's W hulls will cause you.

4. Bama73

Bama73 Member

To my knowledge according to what I have read the HS hulls use the same loading data as the older compression formed hulls. The HS hulls with the seperate base wad were made to the same interior specs as the older ones just for that reason. In other words, if it says AA on it whether old or new, they use the same loading data.

5. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

I've never had the first problem from my "W" hulls

6. Scottrik

Scottrik TS Member

Thank you Gentlemen

I suspected I was making this to more complicated than it needed to be.

Yes I have found lots of recipes for "HS" hulls. I just needed that definitive clarification......"Yes these are "HS" hulls" before I started putting shells together.

Thx again
    Scottrik

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.