1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW YORKS FINEST

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trapperwads, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

a Sad day in New York. Another NYS Trooper murdered in the line of duty and on the same day Democrats voted down the death penalty for killing police officers. Isn't it amazing how the politicians vote to outlaw the so called "cop killer bullets" but won't give the ultimate punishment to those who kill cops? or shouldn't it surprise me? Ed Nichols

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The politicians pass all the "feel good" BS.....but the "Road Dawgs" took care of the perp!

I would have brought the marshmellows...

Curt - Delaware State Police (retired)

3. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

New York should be voted off the island along with Kalifornia.

4. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Bad month for troopers. First NJ tries to off their own Governor driving 100 mph down the jersey pike, now the 'elite' mobile response tactical whatever shoots their own guy.

Still think there should be the 'ultimate' punishment for the guy that killed him?

Friendly fire likely killed N.Y. trooper

By MICHAEL VIRTANEN, Associated Press Writer 43 minutes ago

ALBANY, N.Y. - Friendly fire apparently killed a New York state trooper as he searched a farmhouse for a suspect in the shooting of a colleague, officials said Friday.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Trooper David C. Brinkerhoff, a member of the force's elite mobile response team, was shot in a gunfight Wednesday as he and other troopers went into a Catskill-area farmhouse where the armed suspect had holed up.

Although the suspect, Travis Trim, shot Brinkerhoff, "the fatal wound was made by a .223 (caliber) tactical round that was believed to have been fired by an MRT member," said acting State Police Superintendent Preston Felton.

Shot along with Brinkerhoff was Trooper Richard Mattson, who was wounded in the left arm and survived.

Felton said Friday an autopsy showed that Trim, 23, also was killed in the gunfight, shot once in the face and twice in the chest. "It's our belief he was killed almost instantaneously," he said.

The Margaretville farmhouse was destroyed hours later in a fire that erupted as troopers, unaware that Trim was dead, closed in on the suspect. His badly burned body was later found inside with a rifle.

Felton said Friday that investigators believe a police tear gas round started the fire.

Felton said Trim fired the round that hit Mattson, and shot Brinkerhoff in the chest with a small-caliber round that the trooper's body armor stopped. Brinkerhoff, who was wearing a Kevlar helmet, was then shot in the back of the head, Felton said.

"In a firefight such as this, and our members are highly trained, what it appears happened here is that Trooper Brinkerhoff was struck in the chest and was knocked back," Felton said. "Other members came to his aid and started to return fire at the shooter. At some point Trooper Brinkerhoff ended up getting hit by a round."

Other members of the MRT pulled Brinkerhoff and Mattson out of the house as other officers rushed to surround the vacant seasonal residence where Trim had taken refuge.

"This was a very volatile situation," Felton said.

The new details about the deadly encounter were based on "an autopsy and preliminary forensic review," Felton said, adding that the full analysis of the information is not yet complete.

Trim had been on the run since Tuesday, when he shot a trooper after he was stopped driving a stolen vehicle. That trooper's body armor prevented him from being seriously hurt, police said.

Brinkerhoff is the third trooper to be shot and killed in the line of duty since March 2006 — a tragic stretch of time for the state police in which two other on-duty troopers died in vehicle accidents and another was killed while on foot patrol in Iraq.

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: Still think there should be the 'ultimate' punishment for the guy that killed him?

Accident.... Not on purpose....

6. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

Yes! I do think there should be the ultimate punishment for intentionally murdering a police officer or any other citizen for that matter. In the case of an accident...after proper investigation..I'm sure if any punishment is warranted it will be carried out. The purpose of my post was also to point out how rediculous our elected leaders are in passing every quick fix gun bill that comes along but, will not punish criminals and I'm sure most readers understood that. Ed Nichols

7. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Yep, we don't mess around in Texas with folks who need a good killin'. I'd like to take a blade to that SOB and his partner in Matagorda county. Too close to my neck of the woods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.