1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New York style targets ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

In some of the articles in TrapShootingUSA, it refers to "New York style targets".

Would someone please explain what "New York style targets" are ?

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Orange with a black rim.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Except the black rim is only the very bottom rim on New York targets. Orange dome targets have more black than New York targets.

The White Flyer website has photos.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

New York style target... <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Keller

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of one from the White Flyer web site. Bill Malcolm

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

You can make New Yorks yourself. Stack the all-oranges from a carton in three or four columns and spray paint them with flat black paint - Krylon works great. The top targets in each stack will have overspray all over them but still make good "prize" targets. The rest will be New York targets.

Ed

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

need mustard, horseradish and a dill pickle to top that new yorker off.

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They whine when you hit them.

9. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

In the past we shot orange dome in the summer and all orange in the winter, so we didn't have to switch out targets under the lights in the winter. Our next load of targets are going to be New York style targets. We'll see how they work for everything.Hopefully we can get some, unless New York has banned targets, too.:) Mark

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

averaged, you really paint targets?

11. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

NY style targets are fine against the background at Cicero, but they truly suck against a cluttered background. The black rim becomes very difficult to see, and you are left with a 2/3 size orange poker chip. My old eyes love full orange bios with that nice white puff when you center them!

12. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I'm with notquite. We shoot a lot of treed backgrounds in NY. In the summer the target is fine. In the winter however, when there's no foilage, and everything in the background is brown, they SUCK.

13. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

A better depiction of the three most commonly seen targets is at the link above.

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

3200, yes I have. When our club first hosted Phil Kiner Clinics, Phil complained about the all-orange targets being hard for his video camera to capture due to lack of contrast with the sky. To that end, I made New Yorks for his clinics until we decided to change to them for reasons that will be explained in the following paragraphs.

It stands to reason that if a camera has trouble "seeing" something, our eyes do as well except they can adjust in ways a camera lens cannot. But that leads to tired eye muscles as long days shooting wear on, leaving you with "tired eyes" for the shoot-offs. I also believe that the small black band at the bottom of a New York makes it easier to see under all conditions.

I had that proven to me at Elysburg in 2000. The PSSA was considering the purchase of new automatic traps and voice releases as well as changing to New York targets so they had a meeting of all delegates from PSSA-member gun clubs after Elysburg's shooting season had ended. We were told we would be shooting over one of each brand of automatic trap being offered to the PSSA, Canterbury voice releases (the only brand available then) and at both all-orange and New York targets. Following the morning's shooting, we would adjourn to the meeting room for discussion and voting.

Driving to Elysburg that morning, I was convinced that I wanted no parts of black-anything targets at Elysburg. The PSSA had one trap (only one brand accepted their invitation so we shot over four GMVs) loaded with alternating columns of all-orange and New York targets and we were told we had to shoot that trap first. In just one post of watching 25 targets of alternating colorations, I was hooked on the New Yorks and the vote to switch to them was almost unanimous!

Here's statistical proof that they are more visible. In 2000, the last year for all-orange targets, 15 of the 1,536 shooters in the state shoot's Singles Championship ran the 200 targets under bright, sunny skies with light breezes. The following year, with New York targets, 26 of 1,514 shooters had 200s under dark skies with gusty winds and rain during the second hundred. Fewer shooters broke more perfect scores in worse weather conditions. That says a lot.

But trapshooters hate the word "change" and rebel against anything involving it without giving the new thing a fair chance. Remember the outcry when these blasted orange targets were replacing our beloved white ones?

Shooting all-orange targets only makes sense if that is the target color you will shoot when it matters most - big shoots or important smaller ones. Hereabouts, almost every major tournament throws targets with some black on them, either New Yorks or orange domes. Does it make sense to shoot at anything else all year?

Ed

15. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Just a target anecdote:

The Michigan Trapshooting Association tried for years to determine shooters' target color preferences for the MTA home grounds. Demonstration targets were thrown, and survey forms were given out at different shoots over several years. Invariably, 33% wanted all orange, 33% orange dome, and 33% NY style. (A few always wrote in lime green or black.)

At the 2005 Annual Meeting, the BoD was determined to reach a conclusion for the following year. The attendees were split into the usual thirds, but one older shooter, Stu Laeder, argued long and hard for the NY style. So the BoD decided to throw NY style targets in 2006.

Stu Laeder won the 2006 Michigan State Handicap Championship.

16. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Thanks Ed, very nice explanation.

17. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Ed- Your numbers came from Cicero- AN ALL SKY BACKGROUND, NO TREES.

18. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I wouldn't recommend these targets unless you have an all sky backgound. With all tree background most people will have trouble seeing the target quickly. I believe it's a disadvantage with the all tree backgound and likewise, shooting an all orange in an all sky backgound is also a disadvantage (use the black rim target). Use the best target for your particular background and the shooters will be happier. BT100dc

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You get used to them against a tree background. (the ny targets)

20. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Never knew there was anything but the painted dome ones. Have never seen all orange. Remember when the domes use to be white?

Search tags for this page

new york trap targets