1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New York Style Targets - Any issues?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tailbuster, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Hi Folks,

We are considering switching to New York style clay's (this purchase)with the black ring and orange dome. We have been using solid orange bio-degradeables. We have visibility problems on overcast days with the top of a tree-line in the distance. We also shoot under the lights at night. Looking for feedback by those who have shot them. Any problems with visibility? Did you like them? Thanks in advance. john

2. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I like them better than anything else, period !

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

4. Cray

Cray Member

I've had problems breaking them! My fault. Cray

5. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Great in the daytime. NOT very good at night.
    Robert

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

They look smaller in a tree background than solid orange, love them for blue sky.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We throw orange dome - black rim White Flyer brand targets. They are good under most lighting conditions except at night under the lights. The solid white targets are best then. Not very practical to stock two target colors and change them out all the time though.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I personally prefer orange dome for our club and most other clubs I shoot at, because they are the best for mixed backgrounds with sky.

We are a trap only club, but the skeet shooters and some of the sporting shooters prefer all orange. Elysburg throws NY targets, so we decided to throw them as a compromise. NY targets have only a narrow black band, whereas the orange dome has a larger, more pronounced black band.

Cheapest are the orange dome, then NY, then all orange. The trouble with NY targets is getting them. We had to order in trailer loads to get them, because they arw not used much. When we ran low last time, there wasn't a case to be had, so we went back to orange dome. I'm happy to save 30 cents per case, and we have had no complaints.

9. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

The background makes a huge difference in how shooters like them. With a dark background there is a marked difference in the perceived size of the targets, as the black rim blends into the background. I have also seen chipped birds called lost when the chip was off the rim, and not seen by the marker or the referee, due to falling into the dark background on a dull day, yet spectators seeing them from a different angle all saw the chips. For that reason alone, I would rather shoot all orange. I personally prefer the yellow-green birds, as they are usually highly visible against all backgrounds, in all lighting conditions. They even seem to show up better in snowfalls than orange birds do.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The ideal target would likely be a lime green target with a black rim. White Flyer doesn't make 'em on the East coast!!

11. chipking

chipking TS Member

They would have been a Godsend the day we were shooting solid orange against a smooth snowy hillside backdrop. At least the ring would have been clear and visible. Our homegrounds throws black rim targets and most folks do pretty well with them.

--- Chip King ---

12. msmith

msmith Member

They are great in daylight. Horrible at night. Mike

13. 85TTR

85TTR Member

Have never shot anything but all orange. I here some shooters talk about the orange dome and how they would be better a some of the clubs we shoot at.

nystsidebar.jpg

Orange dome below.

pitchstandobdim.jpg

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Back when the PSSA was contemplating changing to New Yorks, they invited the club delegates to the PSSA to come early for a meeting and shoot free targets of both colorations. I drove to Elysburg not wanting any parts of a target with black on it against their background.

They had one trap loaded with alternating columns of all-oranges and New Yorks and made everyone shoot that trap before they shot anything else. IN ONE POST, after seeing 25 targets of alternating colorations, I was a hopeless convert! They come out as round targets while the all-oranges had a football-like blurry shape when you got to see them back-to-back like that. And they remain visible against changing lighting and background conditions, like through trees with openings here and there. Most of the other delegates must have felt the same way, for the vote wasn't even close.

Here are some statistics that suggest the New Yorks might be easier to see. In 2000, the last year for all-oranges at Elysburg, 1,546 shooters competed in the singles championship under bright, sunny skies with just enough of a gentle breeze to keep the humidity from being oppressive. Twelve of those shooters broke 200-straights (I recall all these numbers because my first 200 was one of those 12). In 2001, the first year for New Yorks, something like 30 fewer shooters competed under black skies for the first 100 and in a hard rain with some wind for the second 100. There were 26 200s.

If you present them to your shooters like the PSSA presented them to us, even your biggest all-orange lovers will grudingly admit that they like the New Yorks. If you just load the traps with them and say, "There they are," they'll hate them and make your life miserable.

Ed

15. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

my club throws the n.y, targets we had the county trap league at our club one of six clubs and many shooters told us how much they like the n.y. style target and they are going to switch to these at their club. we have no lights but we all like this target. bob mctaggart

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

The NY is better as it gives some contrast. But you will not convince some of the so-called experts on this site and at a lot of clubs. It doesn't make a difference of the background or night or day with the NY. Orange domes are thrown night or day at the Grand. As far as chips off the target I defy you to tell me whether the chip is black or orange.

Why would you shoot one color/style target and then shoot a totally different at the World championships? The solid orange is a con job by shoot management to make you think you will shoot better and more.

Don

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Don, I've seen black chips come off more than once. You can tell the difference between them and a wad by the way it falls. I've also seen bright orange chips come off. I can see doo-doo close up anymore, though. That's a good thing when I look at my face in the mirror.

18. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

About 7% of men are red/green color blind, with up to 20% showing some visual color discrimination deficiencies. They prefer either the black rims or the New Yorks.

19. NintyT

NintyT Member

NY targets are the best all around target for dealing with less than ideal backgrounds. IMHO

20. Steinkruger

Steinkruger TS Member

i love shooting at Tucson because of the New York styles that they throw. If i could choose any 2 targets to throw i would pick either the new york or the solid orange domes. both seem to show up BIG under any type of background for me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.