1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW YORK STATE SHOOT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tar, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tar

Tar TS Member

Hats off to the NYS board of directors and all involved, excellent job running the shoot keep up the good work. Thank you for your hard work.

Daniel Tartick

2. vpsr6

vpsr6 Member

I will second that, not only the directors but all the trap help and scoring etc. All were friendly and accommodating. We also need to recognize Larry and Joanne for the excellent cashiering,scoreboard, and administrative things that go on to keep things running as well as the ladies that are at the windows and Mike P who supplies a lot of the horsepower to keep things going. I always enjoy going to the shoots up there.

Vic S

3. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

It was a good shoot indeed. This shoot gets better every year. We started on time every day I was there, The grounds looked great, Trap help was very courteous. Over all I had a great time.

I am still not a fan of the bank lottery as it has not improved the holes in the early squads. Other than that, I am satisfied.

Dr. Honk

4. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I would have to agree that the grounds were in nice shape. The trap help was especially courteous. The meal that was provided (free of charge) on Saturday evening was excellent. I personally like the bank lottery system, in that it levels the playing field a bit more than the "favored bank" system that is employed at most large tournaments.

My only complaint would be with the EXCESSIVE delay in commencing shoot-offs, especially on Saturday - after the 200-bird singles championship. To make shooters compete in near darkness for a state title seems unreasonable to me.

And once the lights were FINALLY turned on, they appeared to be adjusted to view the shooters' sneakers, as opposed to shining out onto the targets.
    I realize that shoot management does not like to see lengthy shoot-offs, but the way they handled them at Cicero left much to be desired.

I also question the logic of holding the state team presentations and HOF inductions between events on the last day of the shoot. This essentially used up a ton of time that could have been spent shooting. People need to finish up the events, shoot-offs, and then travel home ; many having a goodly distance to drive.

I just felt that there appeared to be some intentional "foot dragging" in certain aspects of the operation of running this otherwise good tournament.

5. Simone

Simone TS Member

K80433SC,

I think your points are well intentioned. However, as you mentioned “shoot management does not like to see lengthy shoot-offs” and maybe that’s the reason they started when they did…I personally do not have a problem with that. Remember that there was also the FREE Bar B Que dinner on Saturday that took a long time to get done because there were hundreds of dinners served.

Obviously you are not an expert on how lights should be set so no need to respond to that observation.

Many people expressed the same sentiment as you regarding holding the state team presentations and HOF inductions between events on the last day of the shoot. I would guess this is done so that shooters will be around to honor the recipients. How would you like to be a recipient with no one around?

I think this was the best New York State shoot I attended. Hats off to the directors, Brian Whalen, the scorekeepers, helpers, and Larry Grenevicki and his crew.

6. seitz t22

seitz t22 TS Member

Excellent run shoot Cicero came a long way really shows the work the NY Ata puts in.Shooters really liked Saturdays dinner also great job Larry and his crew.

7. DaveChic

DaveChic TS Member

K80433SC:

I was one of the two people responsible for determining who would be shooting-off at the singles championship. The last squad was finished at 6:10 p.m. for the event.

We had fifty-five trophies to be determined, and many of the results were not computer driven because the entries were hand written (Class 2 Person Teams, 5 Person Teams, Husband and Wife, Champion of Club Champion, etc.).

We went to work to determine the shoot-offs at 6:20 p.m. when we were handed the results. It took us one hour and twenty minutes to figure the results for that many trophies. This is a very pain staking process not to make mistakes, and we did make two that were corrected at the shoot-off table. We started the shoot-offs just as soom as we were done figuring the results.

If anyone can come up with a system to make it go faster, please let me know.
    If anyone wants to volunteer to help determine the shoot-offs at the singles championship at the Northeastern Grand American, please let me know. We can always use the help.

As for dragging are feet for the shoot offs to start, due to family responsibilities, I have to commute back and forth to the shoot every day. It is 122 miles each way. It takes me two hours to drive one way. I left the grounds at 9:40 pm and got home at 11:40 pm. I was back up at 6:00 am to head back to the shoot. If anyone thinks that I wanted to leave the grounds that late, they are mistaken. I would have loved to have the shoot-offs start at 5:00 pm and be completed by 6:30 pm, but unfortunately, that was the situation that was handed to us.

It is always easy to complain but I wish that the complainers would step up to the plate and help out instead.

As for the awards being presented on Sunday, this was my 30th state shoot that I attended. For 30 years now the awards have been always been presented in between the doubles and the handicap championship on Sunday. If anyone has a suggestion for a better time to do this, please let us know.

It is always easy to complain, but until you get involved with all the details behind the scenes, you will realize how difficult it is, with a shoot this size, to get things done correctly.

Dave Cichelli
    New York State Alternate Delegate

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Well spoken David, our sport needs more like you.

9. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Overall, I think the shoot went off very well considering the large crowd on Friday, along with the storm delay that day. Everyone is trying to make it an enjoyable time for the shooters attending. Improvements have been made. The Blaser event along with the nice cookout went over really well, giving the shooters back something for their money. Hats off to the cashiering crew, Larry and Mike and company-courteous and well run! Brian, Doug, and crew did a good job. Like Dave said, some folks don't realize the stuff going on behind the scenes that needs to be done to get it right. Targets were really good, which I think is one of the biggest draws for the shoot. Trap setting folks deserve a lot of credit, because there has been a vast improvement the last few years in target presentation, with NYSATA offering one of the best places to shoot as far as good targets, and that means a lot.

10. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I'll be back!

Harry

11. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Whoa...........New York !! I DID say that the tournament was basically good, and I DID point out the aspects that contributed. I gave kudos to the facility, the trap help and the (YES - I know - FREE)food. I was not "complaining", but rather drawing attention to areas that might be given more attention, in order that future tournaments might be even better.

When one of the very best of the non-resident shooters told me, "if you come here often enough, you will come to realize that this is the way they do things in New York", it pretty much tells me that the problem areas have been problem areas for some time now. All I am suggesting is that there may be ways to make things even more efficient and (thus) more enjoyable for all.

As for a computer-driven shoot program, the technology IS out there. I am a Pennsylvania resident, and our shoot management handles TWO & A HALF times the number of shooters that participated in the NY state singles championships on Saturday. Our State Association utilizes computer terminals for cashiering, which definitely speeds that process up, as well.

If the delicious (YES - I know - FREE) dinner was an issue, taking count of how many tickets were issued would have alleviated the shortage of chicken cooked ahead of time. I know that we waited over 45 minutes for dinner, because the kitchen ran out of chicken, just as we approached the serving area. Trust me - it was worth the wait, but if that added to shoot-off time, then it was a detriment to the overall flow of the days events.

As for my expertise in light setting, I admit to having none. HOWEVER - I have witnessed many (and been in a few) night-time events, and the lighting was poor on the target flight area. I realize that y'all will have a penchant to defend your "home crowd", but that fact is irrefuteable.

On the topic of team presentations and HOF inductions, can anyone say "Friday evening" ? To even suggest that there is no possible alternative to holding this ceremony other than mid-day Sunday would make anyone question just what is in that Cicero Swamp water....................

There ARE options. It now becomes a matter of someone humbling themselves to possibly changing. Humans tend to resist that word, especially if the suggestion comes from outside of the "inner circle". So to those whose ONLY retort is to "get involved and help" or "if you can do it better", etc., we all know that cannot happen. All levels of the ATA are built upon these inner circles.

OK, New York. Flame away. Crucify me. Regardless of the beating I will undoubtedly take, I still plan on attending next year.

12. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Welllllll, let me tell ya what I think.....

bag9.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
2015 newyork state shoot
how many shooters were at the 2014 ny state trap shoot
new york state mid state shoot
new york state mid state trap shooting

new york state trap shoot

new york state trap shoot - 2015

new york state trap shooting
new york state trapshoot results