1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New York- Hamptons Help with vacation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Driving from Upper Michigan to the Hampyons any advice? Never been to New York City Before. Suggestions? Bill

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Bring lots of cash and stay in your car in the rough neighborhoods. Keep a low profile and don't flash money or jewelery. Look poor and you'll live longer. Pizza and Bagels are great. Plan your trip to avoid the rush hours. They run from 12PM to 12PM and are 24 hours long. When near the City, Don't talk to taxi drivers, or anyone else for that matter. You must experience the Shore Parkway, Belt Parkway, and Southern State Parkway. It's really the same road, but it changes when it crosses city and county lines. It's sort of like the AutoBahn. 90+ miles per hour minimum, bumper to bumper, when someone sneezes you lose 15 cars. The LI Expressway (495) is a reasonable substitute, but they have BIG trucks on it, so it's harder to navigate. No trucks on the parkways. Don't get caught with an illegal firearm, especially around NYC. That is unless you are illegal yourself, then it doesn't matter. Watch the "out of towners" before leaving on your trip. Hamptons are nice, expensive, and over-rated. Enjoy and have fun! :)

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Avoid trying to get to the Hamptons on Friday late afternoon or night. Also leaving the Hamptons on Sunday can be a rough trip. HMB

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The main question should be: WHY?

With all the decent places in America to visit...Hmmm!!

Curt

5. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Excellent fishing at Montauk beach, party, charter.Shagwong restaurant is worth the trip, plus a small Chinese Restaurant " you catch we cook em"

they cook stripe bass better than moo guy pan,

Pete

6. BILL GRILL

OK That's enough, this ole country boy is going to Massachusetts! How about Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket,etc. It's our 20th anniversary and my wife wants to see some of the east coast. Should we go up into Maine also or will we see enough in Mass? Any advice, suggestions would be great.

7. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

BILL GRILL,

My wife and I took a trip like you are talking about. We are both South Texas folks who had never been to the north eastern part of the US. I won a couple of round-trip tickets to anywhere in the US and we wanted to go somewhere we hadn't been before. We flew into Logan (Boston) rented a car and drove up the coast all the way to Bar Harbor, Maine checking out most of the significant lighthouses on the way up. She and I both loved Maine and the coastal areas going there. We stopped and checked out Gloucester, Mass. and Salem , Mass. as well, and Portand, Rockland and Bath, Maine. All beautiful areas. Nice driving along the coast and seeing the Atlantic. Then we drove out to the tip of Cape Cod to see those lighthouses and we even went down to check out Newport, Rhode Island an all the mansions along the seashore. Really an enjoyable trip.

Mike* (MH*)

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Want a really great trip --go to Maine, take the Cat- to Nova Scotia--go to Halifax, drive along Cape Breton, then take the Ferry to PEI & the Confederation Bridge back to the States--No crowds, great food, good history stay in the B&B's avoid the big hotels--go to Hall's Harbour--great lobster experience the26' tides

Phil Berkowitz

9. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Bill- We took a trip similar to Mike's some time ago - it was great. If you are traveling between New England and Long Island, I would recommend taking the ferry. It goes between New London Conn, and Orient Point Long Island. You can avoid NYC in one direction, and take you wife on an Ocean Voyage at the same time, nice ride. Mystic Seaport Maritime Museum, near New London is a nice stop. Try to time your travel into NYC opposite rush our traffic, might help a little. There are enough interesting things in the city, that make it worth the hassle. Don't bring any guns - N.Y. laws are tough. Billy

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Bill just a suggestion I don't know if you belong to AAA or one of those auto clubs but I do. Every time we plan a trip my wife contacts AAA and they send enough information to us to kind of get a general idea of what we want to do.

You don't say whether you want to stay in one area or travel within the area you are going to.

Bob Lawless

11. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Also planning on going to northeast this fall. Wife and I are going to Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and over to Nova Scotia and PEI. Going for about a month and see as much as possible. Have a good trip Bill.

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I am a native New Yorker. I have been to many places on several continents. NOTHIONG is like New York. Don't let the foolish talk dissuade you. New York is the safest large city in America. The environs of New York City, such as the Hamptons are also unique. The eastern end of Long Island is the equivalent of any seaside location ANYWHERE! There is also the Hudson Valley which is remarkable and a national treasure.

Come and enjoy yourself. It is known as "The Greatest City in the World" for vary good reasons. Millions of people call it home and they are not being held here by force.

13. jim creighton

jim creighton Member

STAY HOME - GO SHOOTING.

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Who is going to look after Jr.?????

Don

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Bill, Give me a shout and let me know what time frame you're talking about. I'm about 30 miles north of Boston near the coast. Room to put you up, see the local coast, etc. We've got homes here from the 1600's. Portland is an hour north if you decide to do Nova Scotia, New Brunswick or PEI. I'm very familiar with places of interest for you. Your Fox should be back from Wright's soon also. You've got my contacts.Bob

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Becareful when going to eastern Long Island. The place is infested with ticks. They transmit many infectous deseases, including lyme desease. And there are mosquitos also, they can transmit west nile virus and equine encephalitis. HMB

17. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

If you happen to be in Montauk during the week of the 4th of July, let me know. Maybe you can hitch a ride with me on my friends boat out to the canyon and catch some tuna. That's usually the best time of the year for tuna in Montauk.

There is nowhere on this earth like Montauk for fishing.

Bruce

18. BILL GRILL

This is Bill's wife, Liz.

Creighton, --- thought you were my pal. I think you get Bill every major holiday except Christmas. I kinda like the guy too.

To the rest of you guys -- thanks loads, keep 'em coming -- we're not leaving until Monday morning. Appreciate all the tips on what not to miss. Twenty years - two vacations -- unless we get alot better at this, the highlight of the next one will be stopping by nursing homes. Thanks again.

19. BILL GRILL

Trust me she ain't that freeking abused. LOL Bill

20. copper

copper Member

I lived in Hamptons for 45 years my family forever both sides. Almost two hours from NY city. Weekends lots of traffic for the last 15 plus years. There are no tall buildings, the towns are very upscal richest people in the country live in Easthampton. Lots of art, culture ,towns are very clean ,No bad sections realy bridgehampton, Watermill, smaller , Ocean was said to be the best beaches in the world at one time. If you are wanting to go to Montauk the tip leave early in the morning . Hamptonbays is nice the first Hampton you can go to inlet see fishing boats and ocean and the bay is very nice. My grandfather was the light house keeper there , I lived 2 miles from ocean on a canal that lead to Shinecock bay. Village of Southampton is estate section all along Ocean and down side roads . I use to phesant hunt in village, a lot of years ago. My parents still live in Southampton. Any assistance I can be feel free to ask. best regards David Lester PS I moved to get away from taxes and trffic but as far as crime and being sued is way bellow most of the southern hospitality states.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.