1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New York City info needed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bisi, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Need New York City info. Every once in a while I get together with my brother and brother in law and nephews and we take a road trip. This year we are going to NYC to see Yankee stadium. This is the last year for the “House that Ruth built”.

I have never been there. Airfares are same to either LaGuardia or Newark, which is closest to Manhattan and easiest to deal with? Any tips on transportation to and from airport.

Any suggestions on hotels. We will probably stay in Manhattan. Don’t want to break the bank for hotel stay but don’t want flea bag either since I won’t have my doubles gun for protection.

What other “must see” in NYC. I’m thinking Statue of Liberty. Ground Zero..

How many days are enough?. Right now thinking about flying in on Friday and leaving Monday. One day or night spent at Yankee stadium, will that leave enough time to see other sights?

Thanks in advance for info. I trust the wisdom knowledge of my fellow shooters.

Bisi

2. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

If you are limited to those two airports, LaGuardia is easier to get into Manhattan, but delays at that airport are mong the worst in the nation. If I was going to NYC, I would fly into Newark, & stay at the Clinton Inn In Begenfield NJ, all you have to do to get into the city is go over the Washington Bridge & you are there, lots of good restaurants there, very safe---it is an upscale are & you don't have to pay the rip off prices of Manhattan & a good trap club is near by ,(I used to work for the NYFD)--IMHO---Phil

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There's a Holiday Inn right near the GW bridge. You can take the bus into the city and ride the subway once you get further in, and it's a lot less hassle.

Manhattan is a terrible place to have an automobile.

Get yourself a Fodor's guide to the city and take a couple of the walking tours listed.

Soho, Chinatown, Mulberry St, all very good sightseeing.

But my information is old, hven't been there for 15 years.

HM

HM

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

As a natuive New Yorker, I encourage you to stay in Manhattan. THAT is the New York exoeriencen not Bergenfield, NJ! You can find small hotels which will not break the bank. I would look in the 30's. Once you get into the 40's the prices jump. These are small, lovely hotels but not the expensive monsters like Helmsley, Hyatt, etc.. They are within a short walk of mid-towm where there ios so much to see and do. look on the net for deals on a broadway show,

Public transportation within the City is among the best in the world. By all means see Ground Zero, Yankee Stadium (Bronx), the Empire State Building, The New York Stock Exchange and the financial district. Don't miss Trinity Church and the Grave of Alexander Hamilton. See St. Patrick's Cathedral as well as St. John The Devine. See Rockefeller Center, near St Patrick. Walk into every big building and just look around. Have dinner in Little Italy (but avoid the tourist places). See the Museum of Natural History and any other museums in which you might have an interest such as art, etc..

I think you need a week and you don't need a car.

Indeed fly into Newark, There is public ground transportation into Manhattan. Don't worry about looking like a tourist. We are used to that. Just enjoy your visit although if you do it right, you may need a vacation afterwards.

5. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

IF YOU ARE GONNA BE HERE IN JULY -AUGUST-SEPT. DON'T FORGET NY IS AN OCEAN

FRONT COMMUNITY! YOU DEFINITLY WANT TO

GET OUT TO LONG ISLAND AND JONES BEACH. I WOULD FLY INTO LAGUARDIA

AND STAY AT THE MARRIOT OR HOLIDAY IN ACROSS FROM THE AIRPORT. YOU WILL SEE

SHEA STADIUM FROM THE HOTEL...DON'T FORGET TO TAKE A LAST VISIT THERE TOO

AS IT IS ALSO COMING DOWN AFTER THE SEASON. MAYBE GO TO SHEEPSHEAD

BAY IN BROOKLYN FOR DINNER AND TAKE AN EVENING BLUE FISH PARTY BOAT. NOTHING

LIKE BEING ON THE OCEAN FOR A NIGHT FISHING TRIP. FROM THE LAGUARDIA HOTELS

YOU JUST TAKE A SHORT RIDE OVER THE TRIBORO BRIDGE TO YANKEE STADIUM. YOU ARE

ABOUT 20 MINUTES TO MANHATTEN FROM THERE ALSO.

6. mdk3280

mdk3280 TS Member

I stay in and around NYC often on business. Manhattan hotels tend to be very pricey...$300 plus per night is common for any of the national brands. One great secret is Jersey City. If you stay at the Hyatt or the Marriott Courtyard their is commuter rail service under the river to NYC with first stop at the World Trade Center station. There you can take ground transportation or the subway to virtually any location in NYC. If you stay in Jersey City the lower hotel costs will add some more $$ for other excursions in the city. Best, Dan

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Newark is an easy fly in.

Expensive to stay on the Island but most convenient.

If you have never been to a Broadway Play, its a must see. Plan on dinner before or after in the vicinity. Makes for a great evening. If first time, suggest you take in a musical.

For the Empire State Building and/or the Statue of Liberty ensure your waiting in line when they open or you will waste several hours waiting in lines.

Two great museums (among many others) in the city and a very nice Planetarium.

Subways make for great transporation. Cabs are pretty reasonble.

8. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

IF TIME IS LIMITED, SKIP THE STATUE OF LIBERTY-VERY TIME CONSUMING AND NOT THAT
    INTERESTING-RICK

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

To see Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty you must make advanced reservations which you can do on the Internet.

I disagree most strongly about these sights. It depends on your background and interests. If you are the child or grandchild of immigrants or if your ancestors came through Ellis Island, it is most interesting. I went for the first time on my 65th birthday! It was a very hot summer day but the harbor was delightfully cool. It was one of the best days I ever spent in New York - BUT that is purely personal. Others may not have the same experience.

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Thanks for the info guys. You all gave me some things to consider. It looks like we will be going sometime in May.

I talked to a local guy this morning and he told me "Lombardis" had the best pizza, and this afternoon another guy told me "Orginal Ray's". I'm looking forward to trying both.

Also looking forward to trying a "Nathan's" hotdog.

The Yankee tickets we are looking at are for a night game. Nightime in the Bronx. That ought to be fun. What are the chances of 5 or 6 "Hoosiers" who don't know their way around making it out alive?

Little Italy, does the Gambino crime family still hold court in John Gotti's old Ravenite club? Might have to stop in and pay our respect.

Can't wait to take a bite out of the Big Apple.

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Bisi,

Actually, the Bronx ain't that bad, they're doing some waterfront "urban renewal" there and it's no worse than anywhere else.

Definitely go up the Empire, it's worth it for the view in both directions, but forget the museums if you only have a couple days. You could spend a week in the museums alone.

A few days isn't enough...it will probably just whet your appetite for more...

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

So buzz-gun, what do you think? You think we got a 50/50 chance? LOL!

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

Bisi,

You'll be fine...one cold November when I was a little younger and stupider, I ran through the Bronx for about 2 or 3 miles armed only with shorts and running shoes, over the Harlem River, around and and back out...so in my experience, you're 100% good as long as you don't spend more than 20 minutes there, lol!

Seriously, it ain't that bad a place...Charles Bronson gave it a bad rap. Make sure you go to Bronx Park and Bronx Zoo. I'm a big horticulture nut, and the Botanical Garden there is eye-popping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.