1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New XT combo troubles

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bluebobbysue, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluebobbysue

bluebobbysue TS Member

My dad has a brand new XT combo top single. When the single barrel is on nothing wrong has happened. Yesturday we were shooting doubles and the gun occasionally would not go off on the second shot. It seemed like the reciever was locked. The trigger would not move. After talking to a number of people at the shoot he got several different answers. The over and under barrel has had less then 500 rounds put thru it. Yesturday was the first time that it did it. It was alway on the second shot. He tried switching what barrel was shot first but that didn't matter.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

My guess is that he should remove the stock and throughly clean the trigger. These sometimes will have a bit of debris in the grease when new.

ec90t

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

My guess is this gun was not disasembled cleaned and relubed, like all new firearms should. sometimes what you maythink is lube is just a anti rust compound

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If the trigger doesn't move, it's highly likely that the top lever did not return to it's fully closed position.

1-Check for a piece of lead shot behind the ejector head.

2-Allow the gun to close under it's own power. Don't hold the top lever, and then ease it into the closed position. Let it snap shut.

When the trigger doesn't move at all, the tail-end of the locking bolt is sitting above and on, the front of the trigger. This is a safety feature incoporated in the design to prevent the gun from firing, unless it's fully locked.

Being it's a new gun, the locking bolt has probably been fitted "just" a little too close. A few hundred rds will get the locking bolt seated a little deeper into the lugs on the bbl., and all will be good.

If it's a persistant problem, any knowledgable gunsmith can make the adjustment.

Doug Braker

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Maybe your dad is "trapping" the trigger. In other words, he is not fully releasing the trigger after the first shot.

The way to tell if this is the problem is, whenever this happens, have him pause for a second or two, then FULLY release the trigger, then pull it again. If the gun goes off when he pulls it the second time, then the problem was that he didn't FULLY release it the first time. This is a common problem for many people who are new to shooting two quick shots from an O/U shotgun. If he hasn't shot an O/U before, or has shot only singles, he may be trapping the trigger.

Easystreet

6. bluebobbysue

bluebobbysue TS Member

He has shot an o/u for many years. He just retired the old gun for a new one. He has shot sporting clays and doubles for a long time with a o/u field gun so I don't think that he is trapping the trigger.

7. cookoff

cookoff TS Member

Have a new XT Combo under single, couple months old. Shot several rounds of doubles no problems. Had the failure to fire on the second round problem several weeks later, twice. Very experienced shooter suggested same mentioned above in Easystreet's post; that I was NOT releasing the trigger all the way. Next time it happened, did as mentioned and it fired. It was me, not the gun. I slide the trigger BACK one postion hoping that would help in the release problem. Shot two rds doubles last Saturday with no problems. You mentioned this is a new gun for your Dad. Even with him being an experienced shooter the overall fit and trigger release/reset distance on the new gun can very well be different than what he was used to in the past. Hope this helps and it's not the gun.

Bruce Maycock

8. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Bluebobbysue,

A lot of times, the problem is something that you are SURE it can't be. It doesn't cost anything to try what I suggested. The next time it doesn't fire, have him FULLY release the trigger, then pull it again. If the gun fires, he is not FULLY releasing the trigger between shots.

Easystreet

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

gee just Jared my memory,,,,,,my XT i bought used and had some trouble in the beginning. I moved the trigger back to the rear position. Also Time to clean that gun if it wasnt done when brought home the day it was purchased.

10. Frye

Frye TS Member

Mine did this 3 times right out of the box. I was stumped. While cleaning it, I blew compressed air into both firing pins and good stream of gunk came out.
    Problem solved...
    I don't know what it was, but my XT didn't like it being there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.