1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Wood Pics - Model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hookedonshooting, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Just finished the last of the sanding and coating the new wood for my shooter. This is not the M12 I have for sale. Got it set to shoot a little uphill. It shot excellent yesterday.
    20130817_155854_zps71de0eaf.jpg

20130817_155844_zps40a8cf15.jpg

20130817_155847_zps27364f20.jpg

2. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

Looks Great. Good Shooting

3. 7bcshooter

7bcshooter Member

Is that stock and forearm for High Plains Gunstocks? Craig

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

What type of finish is that ..? Looks great ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Hookedonshooting

Thank you Sir. Whittled on the comb to try to get it to shoot 65/35 poi, and nailed it. took enough out of the side to fit me, was consistently centering my shots. Extremely encouraged.

6. Hookedonshooting

Yes the set came from HPG. Not as finished as i thought it would be. Some inletting still required. But overall very pleased with the product from Jacob. After i sanded it down, considered staining it but chose not to. Put 7 light coats of satin poly on the bare wood, being very cautious not to over spray the checkering.

7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Is that cut checkering or pressed in?

8. JohnStefanowicz

JohnStefanowicz Member

Your selection of a checkering pattern and color are very, very nice. My own preferences are a bit different, but your hand work is to be congratulated! I never would have thought of your finishing method. The results are unique. Once you do your first M12, you gotta get another, and use what you (I) learned. Good job, friend. John

9. 7bcshooter

7bcshooter Member

Thanks for replying to my question. Your stock has very nice grain. Is this his standard offering or did you select a higher grade? The reason I am being so nosy is that I have looked at his website and considering getting a stock from him. Thanks, Craig

10. Hookedonshooting

John, thanks for the kind words and the other assistance on the other chamber ring thread. Atter the first couple of coats, I was like oh crap, its going to look cheap. You know the type of wood you see on guns made today under $400. But when I got outside, the grain really popped.

11. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

I believe its pressed checkering..I bought a stock from them for my model 12.. never shot it yet.

12. Hookedonshooting

i could understand your opinion, but if you see the product b4 i finished it, u can see the sniping from his machine. its not pressed but it is machine cut.

13. Ithaca$$$Grade

Ithaca$$$Grade Active Member

Below is from the High Plains Gunstocks website. Pretty much explains what you are getting.

Welcome to the High Plains Gunstocks Winchester Model 12 page. What you see below is what I can make up for your Winchester Model 12 setup. Although I most definitely do offer finishing service for these stocks, most of the Model 12 stocks I sell are unfinished and pre checkered. What that means is once you have receive your stock and forearm you will have some minor sanding and then finish must be applied. The inletting is already done for you. These unfinished stocks are different in that they are precision machined and will not require 15 to 20 hours of shaping and inletting. One can tell by the example picture of the action inletting below, and by the close up of the checkering, that these are not you ordinary 95% inletted that often look like a beaver chewed on them. It would be closer to say that these are 99.5% inletted. If you have a little patience and a couple pieces of 150 to 220 grit sand paper you can have a fantastic looking stock with outstanding cut checkering. All checkering IS cut NOT pressed like you see on many cheaper stocks. Please scroll to the bottom to see pricing and ordering details.

14. cjkostic

cjkostic Member

I purchased a stock set from HPG for my Model 12 last winter. I could not be happier with the wood and the service. There are several different configurations of slide. My forend did not fit my slide. I sent both back to Jacob and he fitted it all together -- no charge! I ordered my stock from among his selection of stock blanks. Again, could not be happier with the whole process and the results.

15. Hookedonshooting

CJ, the .5% not inletted is the fore arm you had problems with. It has to be notched to take the action slide bar that connects to the bolt. Other than that Jacob's representation is right on. Suggest getting some 80 grit sand paper as well. Initially "alot" of wood needs to come off cetian spots to get the correct tapered lines on both pieces. Do it by hand and enjoy the process.

16. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

It appears in the pictures the diamonds in the checkering run nearly verticle instead of being parallel to the bottom angle of the stock. Or am I looking at an optical illusion?

Bob

17. JohnStefanowicz

JohnStefanowicz Member

So what is the M12 you have for sale? john